Pioneer RT-707 Record speed slow

UncleBingo

I just picked up an RT 707 reel to reel and it works fine in playback mode.

If I record a song, the playback is too fast. I have to rotate the pitch control back to about the 8 o'clock position to get the playback speed right. I have cleaned the speed switch multiple times, as well as the "Record" button switch.
I also noticed that it looks like somebody added a homemade board (ARGH!) with a pair of 2.2k resistors resistors. Any possibility this is a service manual update from Pioneer? Or is it a "Bodge" as I fear...

Hi UncleBingo,

I went through this problem quite comprehensively with a fellow AKer. Do a search on this forum for Burgerman posts and follow the checks given there. If these tests fail then you will know where the problem lies.

On first thoughts, resistors can't just be tacked on the side of the pitch pot as it is the "R" in an RC Time Constant on the Servo PCB. The wiring would need to be radically changed to add them. They are on the right lines as the resistors do end up at 4k4 Ohms which is close to the 5k Pitch Pot.

I will see where 28 and 30 go!!!

Cheers.

GPS16

Hi UncleBingo.

Points 28 and 30 go to the direction lamps. You will probably find that they have been replaced with LEDs. Not a "bodge" as such!!! Look on it as a modification.

Try the checks which were directed to Burgerman. Either you have lost the centre tap on the Pitch Pot OR we are back to the Record Switch again. This to me still seems to be the favourite as the fault on Burgerman's machine was "Running Slow". It is becoming Notorious!!!

GPS16

Back
Top Bottom