pioneer rt 707 reel to reel opinions

mrtransam5

hey guys i am looking to buy a r2r, i am looking hard at the pioneer rt 707. i like the compact design, and good looks the specs seem to pretty good also. what are the pros and cons of this deck? thanks mark

Pros... well built deck, compact profile, decent specs

Cons... lack of features, can't handle the big reels

The RT-707 is my favorite 7" deck. It can't handle the large reels, but I have found the reliability and performance of the deck superior to others I own. (Teac and Akai). Can't beat it IMO.

The Pros and Cons for the popular Pioneer RT-707!

PROS: :yes: Excellent deck for it's size, pretty straight forward to use not complicated at all, easy to handle user-friendly, auto-reverse capability, easy to maintain and/or repair with plenty of parts still available for repairs if needed down the line, makes excellent recordings as well as playback, designed size is easy fit for rack mounting or just for space saving, etc., etc., etc......

CONS: :scratch2: Quite heavy, specifically designed for size 7' reels only!

Probably the "BEST" reel to reel in it's size catagory! :tresbon:

(so if your looking for a larger reel size, like 10' then I'd suggest getting a Pioneer RT-901 or RT-909 or a Teac X-1000R) :D

Good Luck on your decision!

Last edited:
The Pros are that it's very well built, direct drive, low profile (if that's a consideration), reversible and an outstanding performer.

The biggest Con IMO is that the reversing foil must be placed on the inside of the tape for the auto reverse to work (unlike TEAC, AKAI and Sony machines) so if you already have tapes all setup for auto reverse with the foil on the outside of the tape you will have to go back and re-foil them.

If you have tapes that are set up for the reversing system that uses the front style sensing posts then you are OK.

The only "Pro" I can state is that they are really attractive. Never owned one, I wish I had thought about a Pioneer (probably a 909) before I bought my Teac.

I'll add that it's very easy to thread. On mine, anyway, I don't have to move the left reel with my hand when I'm threading a tape onto the right reel, I can just pull the tape on through. Also, the fact that the idler wheels lock into threading position adds to the ease of getting a tape going. I have found that I just don't play tapes as much on decks that aren't as easy to thread.

One con I would mention also has to do with the autoreverse function. It takes a bit of time for the speed to stabilize after switching directions, so you have to let a fair amount of tape run out after "side" one finishes before putting the foil on. Seems to me that I've had decks that either stopped briefly to the let the speed settle in or were faster to stabilize than the 707.

Overall, though, I love mine and will probably just sell my other decks at some point. Despite trying other generally well-regarded decks, such as the Teac X-2000R, I always go back the 707.

Pro: Well built, reliable, superb performance.
Con: heads are no longer available. If it needs a pinch roller you will have to send the existing roller to Terry Witt for rebuilding.

You will be smiling once you get your RT-707 setup. That smile will still be there every time you watch and listen to it play.

Would be perfect addition to my rack ... only the price is what bothers my wallet :D

I love my RT-707. Built like a tank, small form factor, easy to work on - had to replace the counter belt which was a piece of cake - and works like a champ. It is one fine looking reel to reel with those side by side VU meters, rows of control buttons, and heavy duty head cover, and and I made some oak sides to dress it up even more. Can't go wrong with the RT-707 as far as I'm concerned.

... I made some oak sides to dress it up even more.

I'd like to see that if you happen to have a pic or two. I've got a couple of RT-707s and I was thinking of doing the exact same thing to them. Maybe some poplar with a walnut stain or something like that.

I'd like to see that if you happen to have a pic or two. I've got a couple of RT-707s and I was thinking of doing the exact same thing to them. Maybe some poplar with a walnut stain or something like that.

I'm making a set for my MX5050 - went to local hardwood store & got a "scrap" piece of stair tread: clear oak (no knots, etc.) less than ten bucks!
Still in process...:thmbsp:

At what price do one of these go these days?

Im following one on the net and the bid is up to €160 now

I made some oak sides to dress it up even more.

Best I can do at the moment is part of an overall shot I posted of one of my equipment racks in another thread. It's pretty small so hard to really get the effect. I got the idea from my Soundcraftsmen amps that have optional wood sides to use when they aren't rack mounted. You can see those in my avatar, also really small. I just think it's a nicer more finished look with the sides flush with the front panel and the rack screws and washers installed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RT-707_sm.jpg
    RT-707_sm.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
At what price do one of these go these days?

Im following one on the net and the bid is up to €160 now

IMHO it all just depends on its current condition. You could find some in good shape for around $100-$150 if you allow yourself the time and patience, one will pop up, but really, I wouldn't pay any more than $400 tops for one and for $400 ( ~307 Euro's) it better be in extremely good to excellent condition.
'IF" possible, try to find one locally you'll save alot of $$$$ on shipping alone (I take it, you being in Belgium, they could be kinda rare over there?).

Good Luck on your search! :yes:

In belgium i havent seen any of them ... but there is one in the netherlands.

And about shipping ... no-one in the Benelux wants to ship big electronics.
I had to get the receiver and tape deck by driving there.

Is the one in the Netherlands, the one that is on net?
By driving there, well look at it this way at least you will be able to actually see it yourself plus you might just save yourself a few Euro's from shipping?
If so and that is the one that you are after, first ask the seller all the important questions about the unit (what condition are each of the heads in?) also ask if they can provide good clear pictures of it.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom