Pioneer RT-707 Source/Tape issue

dave99

Hi all, I have an RT-707 that I dug out of storage last year after about 18 years or so I guess. I had some squealing on the right channel during recording and fixed that with a couple of transistors on the power and oscillating board. It records and plays back wonderfully, with no issues, but one concern that I noticed recently as I'm recording my excellent vinyl to tape to save wear and tear on those.

When I record, and have "tape" selected, I have normal and equal deflection of the left and right meters. However, if I go to "source" I noticed the left channel meter has a somewhat higher deflection than the right channel.

To confirm what I was seeing I downloaded some test tones (700 and 1K), burned to CD and played back. Sure enough, in the source position the left needle is about 1.5db higher than the right, BUT in the tape position they are spot on equal. I thought possibly it was my Kenwood preamp but I ruled that out with another spare I have. So, I'm unsure if that difference between the channels in "source" is an RT problem or not. I did recap the line in amp and also changed the transistors according to Trevor's thread thinking that was it, but no joy.

My record and play are perfect and the sound is equal between the channels, it is just the source difference which is driving this question. It doesn't affect anything I can see or hear, I think?

Any ideas you may have or just not to worry about it.

Dave

It sounds like the deck may need a VU meter calibration check/adjustment if the actual left and right input (source) signals from the CD player are equal and the left and right output (tape) signals are equal but the levels displayed in the source position are not. If the difference is not objectionable to you, it is probably not worth the trouble to do this.

Last edited:
Probably not a big deal if it is 1.5db higher from source to tape. However the only way to know for sure is to do a complete alignment with a reference MRL tape setting up the playback alignment first then performing record calibration after.

Have you deoxited the push button's there at the top? Or is it possible that your TT VTA/F (anti skate also) is off, causing the needle to ride askew of center?

Thanks so far. Yes I’ve gone through and de-oxed all the switches. It happens to all sources not just the turntable. I’m pretty confident the tracking and anti-skate is on the money. I think the other suggestions may be my best direction but I don’t have a calibration tape. If my memory is correct I believe I had the issue before it went into storage. I bought the RT new. I may just leave it as is.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom