Pioneer RT-707 Wood case project

sawdust

Solid walnut covers all my gear
Finally finished making a case for my Pioneer RT-707 out of solid Walnut, decided to post some pictures to show how I put the vents in it and mounted to the case,The case is fastened with longer screws through the bottom feet and then I used finish washers and screws to cover the rack mount rash. The original wood cases I have seen pictures of didn't have any vents and mine gets real warm so I wanted to make sure I had good ventilation .
This design matches the rest of my cases in my system I am happy how it turned out .

Next on my list is cases for my Spec1 and Spec4 next year time to go fishing

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 585
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 558
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 477
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
What an excellent job, looks great. The 707 is a heavy unit, so it's anchored on the front and bottom?

Well done! :thmbsp:

How did you cover the end grain on the front edge of the side panels? :scratch2:

That's a thing of beauty.:yes: Any one looking at it probably wouldn't know it isn't factory built. I have a 707 that's mighty, mighty cold.

S.J.

Well done! :thmbsp:

How did you cover the end grain on the front edge of the side panels? :scratch2:

I cut strips off both sides and glue them to the end grain looks much nicer than the end grain.

I never had any trouble with it cracking or splitting gluing the long grain to cross grain I have done

this to all the cases I have made this way , Some of them are over several years old and some were made out of oak.

It is a wood workers rule of thumb never glue the long grain to cross all the way when using solid wood I have had no trouble with them

cracking or popping lose the strips start out 1/6" thick so I can blend them in to make them disappear

Last edited:
Just admiring your work sawdust! You did a great job with this case as you have done with all the other cases I have seen of yours. I wish I had your talent, I'd make one for my 707. I think it looks much better in wood!

Wow!

What detail!.....What custom work! :tresbon:

Excellent!.....just excellent, what craftsmanship! :D

Good job on adding the ventilation ports on it as well! :yes:

That project is definitely something to be proud of! :thmbsp:

There ya go! Solid wood, and a decent type at that. Not old veneer to make it look 'original', which was nothing special to begin with. Maybe with your next project you will get the bug to try mix 'n match with other exotic high grain solids in a butcher block style (glued alternating strips) and get a semi-gloss poly finish on it.
Or at least alternating grains if you can bring them out. Onward and upward!

Post 102
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=420961&page=7

Finally finished making a case for my Pioneer RT-707 out of solid Walnut, decided to post some pictures to show how I put the vents in it and mounted to the case,The case is fastened with longer screws through the bottom feet and then I used finish washers and screws to cover the rack mount rash. The original wood cases I have seen pictures of didn't have any vents and mine gets real warm so I wanted to make sure I had good ventilation .
This design matches the rest of my cases in my system I am happy how it turned out .

Next on my list is cases for my Spec 1 and Spec 4 yea next year time to go fishing

Outstanding

There ya go! Solid wood, and a decent type at that. Not old veneer to make it look 'original', which was nothing special to begin with. Maybe with your next project you will get the bug to try mix 'n match with other exotic high grain solids in a butcher block style (glued alternating strips) and get a semi-gloss poly finish on it.
Or at least alternating grains if you can bring them out. Onward and upward!

Post 102
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=420961&page=7

When I Restore my vintage audio gear I prefer to use walnut to keep it original I don't want butcher block style glued alternating strips and put a semi-gloss poly finish on it. My wife had a clock radio in simulated wood that looked just like that but it was plastic. I have 7 different pieces of equipment I my main system their is no way I want them to look simulated plastic I will keep the original Pioneer look in walnut .

Back in 2013 I made a Solid Walnut case for my Pioneer RT-707 Box style slide in it is the one in post 1. I just finished this Solid Walnut one I think it is more in line like the original Pioneer wood case only I put vents in mine. The sides are 5/8 thick and the top is 1/2 The vents are 16 gauge perforated stainless steel painted black .I used stainless steel button washers and stainless steel screws with nylon washers in the front they cover the rack rash . I went with 2 fasteners in each side the Pioneer original cases had 4 fasteners I went with 2 it just looked cleaner with 2. all I have left to do is put some Watco Danish oil natural finish on it and put it back in service.

Attachments

• PICT0116.JPG
    PICT0116.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 163
  • PICT0091.JPG
    PICT0091.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 165
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 154
  • PICT0098.JPG
    PICT0098.JPG