1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer RT-909 Play and record not so good.

Discussion in 'Tape' started by PAUL Camden, Oct 13, 2018.

1. PAUL Camden

PAUL Camden Member

I have a Pioneer RT-909 that doesnt sound great playing back. sounds sort of like the tracking is going off
    a bit. Kind of wobbly. I can hear it while recording as well. played a tape I made from my Teac and same thing.
    I just noticed the pinch roller wheels are out of round. Wonder if thats the cause?

will order some new wheels just wanted to get some feedback on this issue. Not at all familiar with this model.
    Just got it.

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dhnash

dhnash Well-Known Member

Certainly a probable cause. Instead of ordering "some new wheels" you would probably be better off sending the pinch rollers you have to Terry Witt (www.terrysrubberrollers.com) to have new rubber installed on them. The cost is $35 per pinch roller plus $5 shipping. Using "slip-on tires" such as those available on eBay might be less expensive but is not the best solution. Terry guarantees his work and you will not be disappointed.

3. PAUL Camden

PAUL Camden Member

Thanks for the advise, Turns out that the take up reel was also out of round. I swapped it out for a good one and it is way better.
    the wheels are pretty bad, I can see that whole pinch roller assembly bouncing up and down quite a bit.
    I can do simple service stuff myself but I am thinking about taking it in and having everything calibrated.

4. dhnash

dhnash Well-Known Member

If the pinch rollers are out of round and causing the mechanism to move up and down as you describe, you will definitely need to address that problem before the deck is calibrated. The OEM pinch rollers have a history of rubber deterioration where in some cases the rubber begins to soften and lose shape. Removing and re-installing the pinch rollers after they are rebuilt is a pretty simple task, so you can decide whether you want to do this yourself or pay someone else to do it.

5. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Someone might have lost the little nylon bearings behind the capstan shafts when changing out the belt as well. Some try to replace with BBs, but they are too hard and too big. You might need a capstan belt, as the old one, if it is the original one, is likely dried, and stretched and slipping. The RT-909 transport is a very forgiving one, and most elegant in its simplicity.

Good luck,
    Rich P

6. PAUL Camden

PAUL Camden Member

De magnetized the heads a couple of times and it sounds much better, deoxed the tracking pot also. This thing sat for a while so its slowly coming back to life.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

7. PAUL Camden

PAUL Camden Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. PAUL Camden

PAUL Camden Member

Lol, well when I transferred the tape to another reel it was twisted, so im try to record on the wrong side, this 909 threads different than my old teac 3340.
    really gotta pay atention
    looks like the belt was replaced. I can see some black on the pulleys from the old belt. new one is white. the plastic bearings are still there. spent a few hours cleaning and detailing.
    I think i'm going to like this one