Pioneer RT-909

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
I was asked to take a look at an RT-909 this week to see if I could get it working. The operation was a success. Here's some pics..

Nudie...

So Doc, what was the diagnosis?
nurse.gif

Tell you the truth, I was pretty lost on this thing. Checked all the obvious things. Basically the tape wouldn't move. Did some searches of some the RTR forums and some guy had the same problem. One of the tension switches measure about 200K ohms. Soaked in some contact cleaner and worked the switch and it came back to life. Reassemblied and everything works. I was going to resort to getting a manual for the thing. I like this tape deck. Going to be a hard decision between this on or a X-1000. I just know the Sony has to go.

X

Thanks !

That babies going right back into my main system replacing the RT-901. :D

Grumpy

Didn't really mean this paticular unit. But if I learned to whine like Pro Arc I could probably end up with it.:D

I've recorded a entire tape with it and playing it back now. Seems just fine.

Looking forward to the Akai.

X

I understand how you feel about Sony's. They just don't seem to have that R2R magic. somehow Sony sucked all the life out of the sound. I have a 2 TC-650's, a 640 and a 580. Out of them all, the 580 is the nicest, but still nowhere near the sound of my Akai GX-260D, that baby sounds sweet. I would like to move up in the chain a bit, but I don't have enough prerecords to make it worth it, and I am considering a move up in my vinyl rig, which I use most every day.
Which Sony are you using? I can't remember.

I got a TC-366. It has some problems that are driving me crazy with the audio levels and I need some speacial tools to make some mechanical adjustment to it. Even then you can hear the difference when using the tape loop. Source and tape does not sound like the actual source. The Pioneer on the other hand sounds exactly like the original. One feature I like on the Sony that the Pioneer doesn't have is 3 speeds.

I basically want a unit with auto reverse and can accept 10" reel. I'd like to record some over night radio programing to listen to while I'm working. I also like to record better LP's So I can listen to them a couple times without wearing out the vinyl.

X

I just picked up this unit from a friend at work, and am excited to locate some media to test it out. It was in NM condition, with some extra unopened Maxell 10's.

Any thoughts on where to find media, aside from Ebay, and what I should be wary of when looking?

I am clueless to the oddities of R2R, anyone have some tips for a novice?

Thanks for any direction you may lead me... :)

Same thing happened to my 909 about 8 years back. Tension switch failure,no tape movement. Switched had to be replaced.
Love my 909,plays music every week day morning kicked on by a timer playing thru my SPEC-1 & 2,Realistic MACH Two's at low volume to slowly draw me out of deep slumber to get up for work.
Man! am I always in a good mood because of that R2R,best $175 I ever spent!
Great job on the repair punkerx ! That switch is not always easy to pin down as the culprit! Unless of course you know these R2R's front & back.

Last edited:
Dorokusai, you can buy new Quantegy tapes from US-recording for your Pioneer.:) Kurt is a good guy to deal with.
If you need info about reel to reels visit my website.
There is maintenance, recording, and lots of photos:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Punker - Cool, there is nothing like being able to fix something and it work afterwards :)

Texas - Thanks for the info, I will check it out. A friend is sending me a tape to try out this weekend, hope it works.

Does anyone have an opinion on silicon rollers as oppossed to the OEM rubber? I sourced some silicon ones cheaper than the OEM, and am not concerned about the decorative covers fitting.

I thoroughly cleaned it up last night, and the rollers became extremely gummy....so I think they need replaced. Thoughts?

Thank for any guidance.

Vintage

Do you have a source for a pinch roller for the AKai 635D. Not that I need one now but a spare sure would be nice. ;)

I don't have any 635 left here Grumpy. sorry...:(
But will check with a guy I know that maybe got a spare.

Thanks TX,

Last time I checked Bob was out of stock of the OEM pinch rollers. Mine are getting iffy and just ordered a brand new pair.

X

Back
Top Bottom