Pioneer SA-5500 II, someone put a 10 ohm resistor in series with the speaker output

patra710

I picked up this little amp, only 15 WPC. I took a look at the inside before I power it on and found this 10 ohm resistor in series with the positive side of the right speaker output. Does anyone know why someone would do this? I don't know how this amp was used, on the outside it was mark " speaker dept."
pioneer sa5500-1 006.JPG

After putting it on the DBT and then checking all of the voltages, I hook up some speakers, not using the output with the 10 ohm resistor on it and this little stereo sounded great. Looking at the power amp section I noticed that there are no transistors. The outputs are 10 pin ICs, PA3002. Everything is done in these ICs. There are only 25 e-caps in it which I will change out and a few 2sa725 and 2sc1312 that I will change out.
pioneer sa5500-2 012.JPG

I had one of these for a while. they sound pretty good though the IC's do seem to run warm so it might not be a bad idea to reapply some good thermal paste to make sure they're getting as much heat away as they can.

Back
Top Bottom