Pioneer SA-7500 II protection relay replacement

Never mind, upon removing the old relay, I see that they removed the unnecessary leads from the end of the relay. Here is a picture of the new and old relay together, to show this.
IMG_20160108_230859_981.jpg

Reactions: mbz
Working perfectly. I really like this little tank of an amplifier. Great example of 'They don't make them like this anymore.'. Or, at least they would be hard to come by for the money I have invested. :)

40 years old, and still going strong.

That is why I posted it. :)

Are you replacing one as well?

Mine exhibited the protection relay 'push through' symptom with the old relay in it. Cleaning the contacts temporarily relieved the issue. Push through is when at low volume on power up there is no sound, and when the volume is turned up the sound 'pushes through'. After that, the unit works fine until the relay is cycled again. Very annoying, as it happens every time the unit is turned on.

Replacing the relay is a simple and pretty inexpensive fix. On this particular amplifier, it only requires removing the top and bottom cover.

That is why I posted it. :)

Are you replacing one as well?

Mine exhibited the protection relay 'push through' symptom with the old relay in it. Cleaning the contacts temporarily relieved the issue. Push through is when at low volume on power up there is no sound, and when the volume is turned up the sound 'pushes through'. After that, the unit works fine until the relay is cycled again. Very annoying, as it happens every time the unit is turned on.

Replacing the relay is a simple and pretty inexpensive fix. On this particular amplifier, it only requires removing the top and bottom cover.

Hello, I', just refreshing the whole unit... And I have a couple of those relays that I ordered by mistake... So I was good to know that I can use it on mine.

Same relay on the 8500II, bit puzzled when the replacement arrived, didn't check pinout...

8500II_Relay.JPG

Same relay on the 8500II, bit puzzled when the replacement arrived, didn't check pinout...

You say it is the same, they probably removed the same row of pins from the relay for the 8500II as well.

I’m going through my 8500II now as well. Checked the ordered relay, it too has an “extra” row of pins. I removed the original one and cleaned it and it works fine. Would you still replace it?

I removed the original one and cleaned it and it works fine. Would you still replace it?
Yeah, I would replace it, case of do the job right first time. Fine sanding/polishing does cause minor damage to the contacts. But if you are happy with it maybe
leave it for a year or so...

Okay so just nip the un-needed tabs off correct? I cleaned and replaced it before ordering parts for re-cap is what I didn’t replace it right away. It will get replaced.
Thanks.

Update to this thread, I am now working on an AKAI AM-2800 integrated amplifier and find myself in need of the same relay for the same reason. This AKAI is a pretty cool amp, I will have to update when I have the relay replaced to indicate if I had to remove a row of pins or not.

Back
Top Bottom