Pioneer SA-8500II repair and restoration...

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by mattsd, Dec 5, 2010.

  1. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,469
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Update: The reason I have not been able to get this is because my dad has been very busy. He has a friend that has the tools necessary to cut it and lets him use the tools whenever he needs them, but he hasn't been able to get over there. But he said he should have time this upcoming Saturday to cut it, so hopefully I can finish this project. In the meantime, I've been working on the others to keep me busy.
     
  2. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,469
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have my aluminum pieces! Will get them installed and we can go from there.
     
  3. markthefixer

    markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

    Messages:
    20,589
    Location:
    Bensenville,Illinois
    mine...

    Granted a D7000, not a SA-8500II

    [​IMG]
     

    Attached Files:

  4. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,469
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And here is mine!

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3GtE0MBb3LA/TTxxa0QmV0I/AAAAAAAAAWo/_5ugcPDpG4U/s1600/IMG_001.JPG

    I have both sides done, this one is of the right side. I checked for grounded collectors on both sides, and there were none.

    I'm replacing the driver, current source and differential pair transistors for the left side, plus the caps, so once that is done it will be ready to power up, but I will await to hear what you have to say before I do.
     
  5. markthefixer

    markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

    Messages:
    20,589
    Location:
    Bensenville,Illinois
    What's to say, looks fine...

    Pity we can't find new mica's that fit the batwing hole spacing, although a free floating to-247 might suffice - I'll be trying that the next time I do batwings...

    but to-220 micas for a to-220 does make some sense..
     
  6. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,469
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It works!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

    I got everything put back together after checking everything, put it on a 60 watt DBT and fired it. Bulb went bright for a second, then slowly dimmed down and about 5 seconds after it dimmed down, click!

    Let it idle for a moment, then shut it down and put in a 100 watt, fire it back up, click comes much faster, check idle current. 11.7mv for the left channel and 12mv for the right at zero ohms, with the second set on both channels within 0.3mv. Set idle current, no problems. Take it off, put it on normal power and hook it up to my CD player and speakers, power it on again, set the idle current and try some music.

    :drool::music:

    That says it all, I don't think I could say anything else. So I now have another working SA-8500II, this one brought back from the dead, literally!

    THANK YOU, MARK!! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp: I cannot say that enough. :yes:
     
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. Rectifier

    Rectifier New Member

    Messages:
    29
    Location:
    West Chester Ohio


    Awesome thread. I'm getting ready to do my SA-8500MK2 very soon. It's my first restore project.
     

Share This Page