Pioneer SA-950 Info?

CraceBS

Audio Junky
Hello all, I was hoping someone could give me some information on the SA-950? I tried google, but didnt' find much. I believe it's 70 watts? Just curious about the specs, and where it fits in the amp food chain. Is it entry level, mid level, or top of the line?

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks

You are correct. Your SA-950 is rated at 70 wpc according to the Pioneer database and was manufactured between 84-85. It appears to be in the upper tier of integrated amps at that time/style (The A-90 appears to be the top dog during that time, but has a more traditional cosmetic design). I have the SA-1050 (model right above, 100 wpc), and really like mine. Yours may also have the non-switching amp circuitry, and it may say that on your faceplate. Even though they are small and compact compared to other amps, these possess excellent power and sound quality, imo. Looks like Pioneer had the SA series and A series during the early to mid 80s.

It says Non Switching Amp. What exactly does that mean? Glad to hear it's a good piece of equipment. I got it for nearly nothing.

It says Non Switching Amp. What exactly does that mean? Glad to hear it's a good piece of equipment. I got it for nearly nothing.

I've read the technical stuff on the non-switching amp (nsa) circuitry, and since I'm not a tech, I won't try to explain how it works. What I do know though, is that it produces very low distortion, which means the sound is very clean, clear, detailed (even at loud volumes). Turn your volume up (be careful) without any signal or source playing, and the background noise through the speakers is almost non-existent. I would imagine amps/receivers without this technology would have noticeabe background distortion or hiss. I also have Kenwood and JVC components that incorporate this technology, but I believe Pioneer was the first to introduce it in their products. Hope my explanation was coherent.

What IS Pioneer's NON_SWITCHING??????

I was going to bite my tongue here, but after THAT, I can't remain silent...

It has nothing to do with anything like switching power supplies.

Let's start with something EVERYBODY is familiar with: Idle current through the output transistors.

WHY do we have idle curent - to reduce CROSSOVER distortion.

What is CROSSOVER distortion? Wiki link to crossover distortion. ( not needed to understand, but it's here)

Amplifier output circuits have TWO transistors, to drive the positive and negative sides of the waveform. Push - Pull. But when the puller is pulling the pusher stops, and when the pusher is pushing - the puller stops - neither can do the other's job - they just get out of the way.

CROSSOVER distortion is the distortion caused when one of the two sides (positive or negative) of the the output transistors "hands off or transfers" the job of driving the speakers to the OTHER side.

Why does it happen: it takes time for the other side to "wake up" when it gets the message (voltage) to get to work. Waking up = SWITCHING ON .... How well do you bounce out of bed every morning?

SO, we TRY to keep both output transistors awake continuously by running IDLE CURRENT through them at all times. There's been a simple circuit that has done relatively well for a long time - BUT IF YOU WANT TO GET VERY VERY PICKY, IT HAS A FAULT.

-- -- --- -- -- -- all this ^^^^ is familiar territory we all deal with, .... here comes the NEW stuff!! -- --- --- -- -- -- -- --

The fault is that the positive signal (or vice - versa) eventually DOES completely turn off the negative side.... NO IDLE CURRENT FLOWS - THE NEGATIVE SIDE TRANSISTOR IS ASLEEP - SWITCHED OFF ..... (or the negative signal does completely turn off the positive side)

The crossover distortion in a conventional idle current circuit is reduced because when the signal is returning to where that side WILL be turned on, the conventional idle current circuit gives the signal to those transistors a little head start to wake up.

The NSA part of the amp does something DECEPTIVELY SIMPLER!!! (with circuits that are a HE## of a lot more complicated) .

It NEVER NEVER EVER lets EITHER side BE TURNED OFF !!!!

It CHOPS OFF THE PART OF THE SIGNAL GOING TO THAT SIDE (positive or negative) THAT WOULD TURN THE TRANSISTOR OFF - THE IDLE CURRENT NEVER STOPS FLOWING IN EITHER TRANSISTOR EVER. NON-SWITCHING (off)....

The two different chopped up signals, each sent to IT'S half of the output transistor circuit combine at the output to make an extremely low distortion result.

--- -- -- --- -- - -- -- --

So there you go, not as elegant an example as explaining a 4 stroke gasoline engine as : SUCK SQUEEZE POP PHOOEY... but it'll do.

I'm pretty sure my mind is now blown after reading that. I have no knowledge of transistors, amps, current. Looks like a great answer though for those that do have knowledge of that stuff.

It's asking me for some sort of username and password jgmacy..i'll look up the 940 and see what I can find though.

Late in the game but I bumped into the SA-950 at a vintage shop two years ago, got it for <$20, and have swapped it back in after trying other receivers. Some original specs from Pioneer's owner's manual that I thought you'd be interested in are below. Consumer grade but great package IMO. I listen to a lot of classical and love the high and low frequency response. The bass (very low registers from pipe organ) got a knock on my door from an angry neighbor at a mere 5W/channel (the volume meter lets you see how much power is being pumped per channel). At about 5-6 of 10 on the volume dial you can just begin to hear a hum, but I've never had to crank up the volume that loud. Its one of those overlooked "integrated" amp/receivers that don't need a lot of power to produce a lot of clear sound. Of course my Klipsch Quartets can drive alot of bass but I blame the old-school electronics in the Pioneer for neighbors being angry at a mere 3 on the volume dial :)

continuous power output 20Hz-20kHz 8ohms @70W = THD 0.009%
DIN, continuous power output 1kHz against 8ohms within THD 1% = 87W
10Hz-70kHz -3dB frequency response (non-PHONO)
20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.2dB frequency response (PHONO)

Last edited:
Keeping the thread alive

Just got an Pioneer SA-950 as part of a package deal which also included Advent Baby II speakers (which need refoaming, but do work) and a GE Super Radio 2 which is from a value point of view is probably the best item, all for $25 from a garage sale in my neighborhood.

But back to the SA-950, I connected it to Eckman Engineering 505 speakers which are basically Radian Research speakers (an offshoot of Beckman) made for a defunct Stereo chain store (Sound Great) back in the 80's. They have a 10 in. woofer, 4 in. mids, and 1 in. mylar dome tweeters.They sounded like disco speakers until I plugged the ports and maxed the midrange and treble controls. Now they sound like JBL's IMO*.

This is my porch system that I can crank w/o complaints from my SO. It replaced a Luxman R-113. Played Trower's Bridge of Sighs and Dirty Dozen Brass Band's Voodoo albums. It definitely delivers especially in the bass department and sounds great (get it:D) overall.

* Never actually owned and only briefly heard classic JBL's, but they sound like classic rock speakers. Will have pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom