Pioneer SA9800 9800 Speakers Reversed

mjgillen

Hello all,

This is a stock SA9800 purchased from another AKer about a year ago and I rotated it into my setup today. One strange thing is that when I use the balance knob the left and right speakers are reversed so that when the balance knob is turned to the left the right speaker is heard and viva versa.

There is a MODE knob that has a REV, STEREO, L+R, L, R however when set to REV or STEREO or L+R this problem occurs.

No other issues that I know of. Sounds very good through my HPM-100s.

Any suggestions?

I swapped the speaker cables to keep my sanity however I'm concerned there is an issue to resolve.

Thanks!
Michael

If you are sure of thee speaker connections you have to figure out if the channels are reversed or just the balance control. To do this pull like the left plug out of it for the CD player or whatever and see which channel goes out.

If it the correct one, probably the balance control was changed and the wires got switched. If it is the wrong one then something happened in the wiring curing a repair sometime in the thing's past.

You can take care of it temporarily by just wiring up stuff the way it needs to be. Wire the speakers so the balance works correctly. Then figure out the channels on the inputs. You might have to reverse the channels on al the inputs, but it will then work correctly.

I would contact the seller and find out what kind of work has been done on it. And by whom. I know it is a year, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to you. It is not like you are looking for a refund.

Thanks JURB, I will ask the seller however when it sold he said that he thought that no work had been done on it.

Regardless, I'm wondering if the MODE switch might be broken? I dunno just guessing. I'll Deox it some more. It is working fine, just annoying, but not really because I switched the speaker wires so it works like its supposed to.

Michael

If your speaker wires are hooked up right and you have no other issues I would not worry about it.

I just checked My SA-9500 changing the mode switch has no effect on my balance knob It just changes the signal routing internally to the outputs.

I have always thought the mode switch was pretty useless except for playing stereo sources (L+R) summed & presented in mono.
I don’t know why someone would want to listen to a stereo source in mono :dunno:
I guess it could be useful as a diagnostic tool to see of you have a bad cable or signal source.:scratch2:

The way the my mode switch works ..
Stereo- normal stereo
Rev-Left channel signal plays on the right speaker & the left channel signal plays on the right speaker.
R+L see above (stereo summed and presented mono out of both speakers)
Mono L- Left channel plays in both speakers
Mono R- Right channel plays in both speakers

In the almost 40 years I have owned my SA 9500 I have never felt the need to sum stereo mono or reverse the stereo sound stage. Or play only the L or R signal out of both speakers...
But with the mode switch I can.:banana:

If the balance pot is wired in reverse you could fixit if it really bugs you or just wait till something else major needs addressing & fix it then.

If it were me I would just relax & enjoy your SA 9800 if it sounds great:music:
As always YMMV
PQ

the stereo reverse is the clue here ...and the fact the mode switch doesn't seem to do anything ...maybe the switch itself isn't turning and its a mechanical defect ...
if the balance was wired in reverse then stereo reverse would surely correct the issue ..

Well I'm not sure what the problem is however I've forgotten about it after just switching the speaker inputs so as far as I'm concerned there is no problem. I'll get it fixed when I pop the hood to do a recap, whenever that is.

Thanks all!
Michael

Sorry for the Necro Post however I put my SA9800 on the bench for a different reason and decided to take another look at this issue and could use the collective help on this forum... here is what I observe:

I connected a CD player up to AUX and only plugged in the RIGHT channel.

I get sound out of the LEFT speaker (wrong).

Turning the Balance pot to the left = no sound, fluoroscan is inactive
Turning the Balance pot to the right = sound out of left speaker, fluoroscan is active

This is all with the MODE switch set to Stereo
Here are the results when changing the MODE switch:

Mode set to REV = sound is out of the right speaker (wrong), left fluoroscan is active (Good)
Mode set to L+R = sound is out of BOTH speakers (good), both fluoroscans are active (Good)
Mode set to L = no sound, no fluoroscan ( I think that is expected as I only have the RIGHT channel from the CD player connected)
Mode set to R = sound is out of BOTH speakers, both fluoroscans are active.... I think this may be incorrect. There is a source for the right channel however why would I get sound from BOTH speakers AND BOTH fluoroscans are active?

So looking for advice on what to test and/or what to correct.

Thanks!
Michael

Might be an idea to do a continuity test on all the audio path interconnects between the pre-amp boards in the amp. Sounds like maybe a cable has been put in the wrong way....?

Back
Top Bottom