PIONEER SE-L40 Stereo Headphones???

IsakAlexande, I know this is an old thread, but I joined the forums here just to ask you a very specific question! I talked to trondareo, and when he took his SE-L40's apart they did not have the plastic ring in the can that yours (and mine) do. I had a short in the jack wire that I had to cut out, but I cannot get that plastic ring that the speaker "seats" into out of the can. It's visible in all the pictures you posted here. I was curious if you removed yours? It's impossible to fish a wire into the path it originally exists in without removing it, but it seems glued in place.

This following post is a quote and my response that were lost due to the site issue and subsequent restore to earlier date. The quote below was posted after that restore point, and therefore got lost.

^^^....No one?

I know this is an old thread but I have a pair with the same issue where it has an intermittent break where it goes into the left can. The bracket that the speaker is attached to looks like it sits on 3 white/ yellowish posts and some hot to used to melt them in place used. I'm not sure what the best method is for breaking these 3 connections loose to get the speaker out and once the cable is repaired how to secure them back in. If this was just for personal use I would use any means possible but I plan on selling them and don't want it to look like Ray Charles did the work. Any suggestions?

View attachment 732770

I redid the wiring in mine when my left channel became intermittent.

From the pic that you show, grab (lightly) the mesh driver cover and twist counterclockwise. It should turn just a little to then unlock the tabs that seat the driver. Then just pull straight out.

Don't attempt to remove the black plastic ring. You can work on it with it in.

Once you have the driver out, you'll see the wires and how they feed inside.

I unsoldered the driver, and the lead that goes up and over to the other driver - the negatives are shared. This freed up the cable and plastic tube to be fished back through the can and out the bottom where they go in.

I ended up clipping off about 6 inches or so, then, over the period of about an hour and taking breaks from getting frustrated, fed the cable back through.

Patience and gentle determination proved successful.

Once it was back in, I resoldered the driver along with the the other driver lead I unsoldered.

In my case, I got lucky, and the 6 inches I removed was where the break in the cable was. They now work like new, and still retain the original cloth covered cable and plastic stress relief.

I would strongly recommend doing it on a day that you've got plenty of time and patience.

Good luck!

This following post is a quote and my response that were lost due to the site issue and subsequent restore to earlier date. The quote below was posted after that restore point, and therefore got lost.

I redid the wiring in mine when my left channel became intermittent.

From the pic that you show, grab (lightly) the mesh driver cover and twist counterclockwise. It should turn just a little to then unlock the tabs that seat the driver. Then just pull straight out.

Don't attempt to remove the black plastic ring. You can work on it with it in.

Once you have the driver out, you'll see the wires and how they feed inside.

I unsoldered the driver, and the lead that goes up and over to the other driver - the negatives are shared. This freed up the cable and plastic tube to be fished back through the can and out the bottom where they go in.

I ended up clipping off about 6 inches or so, then, over the period of about an hour and taking breaks from getting frustrated, fed the cable back through.

Patience and gentle determination proved successful.

Once it was back in, I resoldered the driver along with the the other driver lead I unsoldered.

In my case, I got lucky, and the 6 inches I removed was where the break in the cable was. They now work like new, and still retain the original cloth covered cable and plastic stress relief.

I would strongly recommend doing it on a day that you've got plenty of time and patience.

Good luck!

I see what you mean. The easy part is getting the driver and the wires disconnected and out. I will save the rest for another day. I'm going to try to fish the wires in using a piece of string like a fish tape. It's a gamble but I'm going to try that first.I will test it for addition breaks with my meter before I fish it through.

Thanks again for the detail breakdown on this, it helps. I will post the pics when I'm done.

I just finished repairing the left side of a set of these and wanted to add some clarification to prior posts. On my set the foam cushions have to be "popped/pried" off. I tried twishing it off using a rubber jar opener and it came off. But looking at how it was setup it was evident it was simply glued onto 3 plastic posts.

I think because I twisted off the foam, the entire speaker AND the black plastic holder all came out at once. It was evident that someone had done a hack repair on the speaker and perhaps because of that the whole thing came out. I'm going to post some photos next with explanations.

Last edited:
Now that it was out I simply twisted the speaker from the black round rim counterclockwise it came out. I did have to use a pair of pliers to twist it off because I just couldn't cup it in one hand.

Attachments

• 20160619_154929.jpg
    20160619_154929.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20160619_154919.jpg
    20160619_154919.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Next, I desoddered the black and white wire from the speaker, and desodered the red wire from each other. Here's what it looked like before desodering.

Attachments

• 20160620_191137.jpg
    20160620_191137.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I then trimmed off the wires on the supply side, and stripped off the incorrect red heat shrink. I needed more wire from the supply side so I sliced open about 2 inches of the braided wire shield and then put on new black heat shrink.

Attachments

• 20160621_124147.jpg
    20160621_124147.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
I reglued the black plastic ring back onto the posts. Note that the posts were broken from the the guy who hacked it up. I used the gorilla epoxy. I let this sit overnight.

Last edited:
I resoddered the black and white wires to the speaker, and the red wires together.

Attachments

• 20160621_124147.jpg
    20160621_124147.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I flipped the speaker over and lined up the 2 small copper pieces on opposite sides of the speaker to the slots in the black container. In the photo I'm using a piece of solder to show where I'm lining up the copper piece..

Attachments

• 20160621_124347.jpg
    20160621_124347.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I then just twisted the speaker clockwise onto the black container.

Attachments

• 20160621_124427.jpg
    20160621_124427.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 23
I used Elmer's glue to glue the cushion back onto the black container.

Attachments

• 20160621_124914.jpg
    20160621_124914.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20160621_124954.jpg
    20160621_124954.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Finally, I set the cushion back on the black container. Because I need to put some pressure on the cushion. to it set properly i used a sugar bowl because it had the right shape amd weight. I let it sit like this for.an hour...them just let completely dry for 24 hours.

Attachments

• 20160621_125153.jpg
    20160621_125153.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom