Pioneer Sleepers of the 1980s

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
We all know about the Pioneer equipment of the 1970s and how they pretty much set the standard, but in looking back, there was quite a few Pioneer components that were, what I call sleepers, in the 1980s. Here's a few of them.

SX-3800 and SX-3900 receivers.
SX-D5000 and SX-D7000 receivers.
A-90 integrated amp.
TX-D1000 tuner.
P-D70 CD player.

The price on the above items mentioned continues to increase on that auction site just like the 1970s equipment, are there other 1980s Pioneer components we should keep an eye on?

Retro

Not sure this would fit the catagory of a sleeper, but the F-9 AM (stereo) / FM tuner seems to be a prized item.

The A-88X is also good. I think it's very similar to the A-90.

What year was the SX-V900??

The SA-1060 is not bad either for what it sells for. Usually under $100.

Would the CT-7R Tape Deck qualify? I have no idea how good or bad they are, but they intrigue me. They look like they would be at home on the bridge of a Klingon Bird of Prey, yet they also somewhat resemble the P-D70 and would look good paired.

slow_jazz said:

No "Pioneer" Amplifier is similar to A-90. This amplifier is similar to "Pioneer-Exclusive" amplifiers and components.

A-88X is just the successor of A-80 and similar to SA-9800 + A-27 with two power transformers. Although it is one of Pioneers best amps !!

slow_jazz said:

What year was the SX-V900??

The SA-1060 is not bad either for what it sells for. Usually under $100.

Retro, can you provide pictures of these models?

The SG-50 (M) and SG-70 Spectrum analyzers are fromt he mid 80's I love my SG-50 (M)

deaner33 said:
Retro, can you provide pictures of these models?

From a 1985 catalog, here are the sx-v900, sa-1060, and a-88x, and from a 1984 catalog, the a-90:

Doc

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sx-v900 (1985).jpg
    sx-v900 (1985).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 537
  • sa-1060 (1985).jpg
    sa-1060 (1985).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 532
  • a-88x (1985).jpg
    a-88x (1985).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 561
  • a-90 (1984).jpg
    a-90 (1984).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 644
IMHO, I'd agree with the A-27,A-90, A-88x, but I'd suggest the A-77, A-717 integrated amps. Those too are built very good, and are worthy contenders.
With the tape decks the CT-9R, CT-S800, CT-A9X were all TOTL decks at the time. The CT-9R though had some issues with the Auto reverse mechanism if memory serves me correctly. The other two are 3 head decks that really perform.
When it came to the receivers, I didn't think to highly of anything made after SX-D5000 and the SX-3900 until the VSX-9500 arrived I think around 89'. The TOTL VSX-5000 from 86~87' really was a crappy POS though it was one of the first Dolby Surround units made by Pioneer. The amplifier section of the VSX-5000 was the weakest 100w/ch I've ever seen. I think 85~87' was one of the lowest points in Pioneer quality I've ever seen except for a select few units like the A-88x.

- Mike

I have an sx-v900 that I aquired for $40 and it's now doing duty in the basement. The overall condition of the unit is awesome. It sounds great, but lacks the quaility of my 70's pioneer gear. Not to mention it's pretty fu*k'n ugly.

Derek

I believe many will agree that one of the reasons these 80's sleepers are not as popular as the 70's components is the dreadful looks of those made in the 80's.

OK, perhaps saying dreadful is a bit brutal, but at least they aren't even close to Pioneer of the early/mid-70's!

I just had to say it......

HALOLS said:
I believe many will agree that one of the reasons these 80's sleepers are not as popular as the 70's components is the dreadful looks of those made in the 80's.

OK, perhaps saying dreadful is a bit brutal, but at least they aren't even close to Pioneer of the early/mid-70's!

I just had to say it......

I'm actually digging the looks [and the sound] of my 80's sleeper, but it's early 80's which might not qualify it as being of the "dreadful" type.

sx39001tr7.jpg

CrazyTrain said:
Not sure this would fit the catagory of a sleeper, but the F-9 AM (stereo) / FM tuner seems to be a prized item.

Sorry, CrazyTrain, I missed your posting this. Here is the F-9 from a 1981 catalog:

Doc

attachment.php

Attachments

• f-9.jpg
    f-9.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 552
MAXZ28 said:
I'm actually digging the looks [and the sound] of my 80's sleeper, but it's early 80's which might not qualify it as being of the "dreadful" type.

Your reciever is not what I would consider dreadful, although I don't like those cheap looking push-buttons (those with the diodes in them)

What I really would call dreadful, is that SX-V900. I think that is the absolutely ugliest piece of Pioneer equipment I have ever seen :tears:

I hope no one is offended by me saying this...

It's all so subjective, but I would agree that some of the 80's gear really took a beating with the ugly stick. My JVC JR-400 isn't exactly the beauty queen of the bunch, but it was my first exposure to pre-BPC gear circa 20 years ago so I've kept it in the collection.

I had a sweet little SX-3600 and I was trying to quietly acquire a SX-3900 and SX-D7000 over the last couple of years but stopped when I decided enough was enough. And I have noticed that they have gained popluarity in that time and it relfects on the going prices.

I probably would still buy one if one came up at a reasonable price.

Here my SX-D7000 with the two broken tone sliders.
It is not so solid build, as earlier Pioneer Recievers.
The clean design is a state of art.

sxd70007.jpg

Honestly, at first, I hated the D7000 / D5000 look....until I saw one in person. I think the balanced layout asthetics and station presets sold me on this sleeper, but it by no means surpasses the build and sound quality of my 1050's. I got one just as an 'end of an Pioneer silver era' kind of thing for my collection.

Back
Top Bottom