Pioneer SM-803(SM-83) Rebuild [Work Log]

endo

Hi all AK'ers, thanks to a member on this forum 'HiFi in WYO' I am the proud owner of this tube amplifier: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=634497

So far the amp has arrived, in great condition due to the seller packaging it so well he did such a good job. He double boxed and created a custom internal frame out of foam to support the amp and make sure it didn't move around and also bubble wrapped all the tubes and packed them out with bubble wrap.

The amp itself is in great condition for it's age, it's not perfect but very clean. All the RCA connections at the rear are shiny still, the lid has only a few minor marks. Really only thing is that the 2 top bass/treble knobs have some plastic that has broken off around the edge of the knob.

We believe this amp is pretty much identical so the SM-83(based on comparing it to the schematic), and there is also another variation SM-500. Some information is here on the SM-803: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6059903

It looks like this model was part of a specific Japanese console unit, why it has a lid on it ? not sure why it would need one when it's closed inside of a console.

A friend and I have put a new earthed 3 wire lead on, setup the power transformer to run on Australian 240v by putting the twin 115v windings in series. Replaced the 4 x ITT 1A silicon diodes that had been setup in place of the original bridge rectifier as one of them had gone closed circuit with a 10A 600V bridge rectifier.

We have been testing various components, using multimeter and this handy gadget he has leant me: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271597580019?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The main electrolytic filter can cap's seem to test OK and have low ESR but this triple multisection 20uF 250V looks dodgy ? Does that look like it's burst it's guts where the rubber has oppened up and has maybe white electrolyte coming out ? The spot where im talking about is where the arrow is.

So far the wire wound resistors and ceramic resistors seem to be in spec still, any of the non-main filter caps all (Elna) electrolytics seem to test OK with the tester and have reasonably low ESR and are in spec but I am very suspicious about how they look and want to replace them ASAP.

The Suzuki paper in oil caps look OK, and test in spec but the ESR tests very high between 10-18Ohms respectively, would anyone have any more info about these ? Whether this is a normal value, or maybe this Hot328 meter can't properly detect that ? the same with the 50pf and 500pf mica capacitors, they seem to be in spec value wise but have a reading of 18Ohm ESR ?

Will be posting pictures and adding more information to this thread, any help or input is greatly value and appreciated.

Cheers,

-endo.

Last edited:
I for one would like to see a few more pictures of the packing!!!

Some tube gear, shipped from (presumably)Wyoming to Australia, that survived in such spectacular shape and style deserves a bit more attention to the packing details!!!

Details about the mode of shipment would be welcome as well. What company, website, details and limits etc...

Eventually I have to ship a SX-1980 to Australia...

ediit - WOW, started the deal on 1-6-15 and it's THERE already!!!!

Last edited:
Hi markthefixer,

No worries, I have heaps at work on my laptop the seller sent me them to make sure I was happy with his job before he sent it here! He was very meticulous like myself and had sent various heavy amps(mainly solid state) over the world before.

Bubble wrapped the valves in socket seemed to work very well, and then bubble wrapping the amp with a layer or two. Then he got this foam probably around 3.5 inch thick cut it to size to make it fit inside of the the smaller box. He made the front of the amp have a few inch gap so that there was a buffer and if the package fell on that end the knobs and pots would never come in contact with the rest of the packaging. He then used thick bubble wrap and maybe even some fibreglass squares to put that box inside of a bigger box, all the pictures I will put up will show that.

The long story with this amp is I actually missed out on it originally after text msg'ing the seller from the Craigslist AD, he said it was available then HiFi in WYO had said he would drive and pick this up for me and on-sell it to me without any making any profit although I offered him $100USD for his time and fuel costs, a very generous offer he is definitely a true AK member who will help others if he can. My mistake was that instead of me contacting the seller on CL again to say I would like to take it, I left it to HiFi in WYO to contact him(although I don't hold him responsible for this at all, I actually thought maybe if the seller knew I was interested all the way from Australia he may not take me seriously), by the time this happened someone else in Denver CO had already made contact with the seller and made arrangement to pick it up on the following Saturday.

A day or so after this had happened while I was still kicking myself :tongue: I actually spoke to the seller from CL and told him I was very disappointed what had happened, luckily he passed this information on to the buyer in Denver CO and he gave me his details and was told he was looking to sell it, so I made contact with him and agreed on a value.

Initially he wanted to use UPS or Fedex, but I believed USPS would be much cheaper and it was, for something thats like 13KG or more Priority Mail to Denver CO to Australia was only around $175.00USD, but I wanted to go Global Express 3 Day w/ Insurance and registered which was around $265USD.

I believe he did it all through: https://www.usps.com/

There was some work to do for customs forms etc, but I would recommend to use this method again or the cheaper Priority Mail option aswell if you wanted to save a bit more money.

He sent it on the 14th and it was here on the 19th :yikes:

-endo.

Some tube gear, shipped from (presumably)Wyoming to Australia, that survived in such spectacular shape and style deserves a bit more attention to the packing details!!!

Details about the mode of shipment would be welcome as well. What company, website, details and limits etc...

Last edited:
Hi markthefixer,

Here is some more pictures of the packaging:

Back
Top Bottom