Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, the real deal or hype?

Okay, I couldn't wait any longer. I'm in Canada, and our marketplace is much smaller than the US, with relatively higher prices. Since Amazon.com let me down, I bought a pair of the SP-BS22 from a local retailer(London Drugs) for $129 Canadian or $95 USD. First impressions with a Nad C326BEE, they have a warm presentation, with good imaging and I'm surprised at the amount of bass they get out of a 4 inch driver!

I'm going to play them quietly for about 20 hours, then see what they can do. Oh yeah, also, I'm impressed at the finish and rounded cabinet for this price point. I really wanted a curved cabinet, and they look good, don't even need the grills. Color me happy.:banana:

$129 in Canada is actually an exceptional deal.

Go look up MCM_FAN mods now, be even happier....

I cannot play mine with the grills off because the bass coming from that small woofer freaks me out too bad. Peace and goodwill.

Hey, that mod thread is already on my radar!

You can get used to the bass, Drumolator, if you really want to!

I'll edit this post to add: Now that I've got 7-8 hours on the speakers, I've noticed that the imaging sharpened up a little, and I'm still impressed at the bass. Perhaps the reason is that I had a pair of Tannoys with a 4 inch driver that could not come close to what these budget Pioneers are doing with the bass.

Last edited:
I will also add that I don't consider these speakers warm sounding anymore. I was breaking them in with a Nad c326 and I forgot that it's somewhat warm to begin with. I've now switched to the Harman Kardon PM625, which is more open sounding, and surprise surprise, the speakers opened up! But I still think the imaging improved with time. I still am taken with the looks for the price point. The old Paradigm performance stuff I used to dabble in, like the Titan and Atoms, new they were more money and looked way worse.

I'll bump this thread to let anyone interested know, Amazon has the SP-bs22's on for 89.99. Not as deep a discount as previously, but since these speakers are such a hit this may be as good as it gets. The deal is only on today, cyber Monday.

Also on sale at Parts Express until 12/1 are the Dayton Airs for $45. The Overnight Sensations are still priced at $118.

I'll bump this thread to let anyone interested know, Amazon has the SP-bs22's on for 89.99. Not as deep a discount as previously, but since these speakers are such a hit this may be as good as it gets. The deal is only on today, cyber Monday.

Just a reminder that Best Buy price matches Amazon (and other local and online sellers). That's how I got my my little Pioneeers. Just show them the Amazon price on your phone and they will match it. I just happen to have a Best Buy less than 3 miles from my house. So, even though I have Amazon Prime and get free shipping, I just picked them up locally so I could be listening to them that same day.

Nice! Let us know your impressions. I really haven't seen a curved cabinet for anything under $200. As you look on the front of the speaker, it actually bows out before curving in to less than half of the front dimensions. Correction, it goes from about 6.25 to 4.25.

Last edited:
I listen to music in a basement room about 20 by 12. I use the long walls for equipment. My main speakers are a pair of Wharfedale W70's. They sit on either side of a long console that holds most of the equipment. I have discovered that another pair of speakers sitting outside the Wharfedales (making them about 10 ft apart) still sound pretty good. Some that have worked well include the Human Speakers model 81+ made by Huw Powell in New Hampshire, the Pioneer fs 51's and a pair of the Pioneer c21's used veritcally.
They all sounded pretty good but they all sat too low, the 81+ and the c21's on small stands.. The 51's are short for floorstanders. What I wanted was some bookshelves to put on 26 or 28 inch stands that would sit above the Wharfedales and the console, so I began a bookshelf test last week with mixed results. Two put out a large sound stage, the B&W DM302's and the Paradigm Atom Monitors v5, but the treble was too bright for me. The Polk RT 25i's also had the brightness without the huge soundstage. The Mission 731i's weren't meant to be spread that far apart.
So, I ordered the bs22's. While I am waiting, I put out the Pioneer bs41's on 26 inch stands. They are actually sounding pretty good. It will provide a standard for the 22's when they arrive. They are being powered by a Virtue Audio Sensation 451 a T-Amp. Imput is a CD and Minidisc player both outed to an Entec Number cruncher 203.2 from the 90's. It was designed by Peter Madnick. I also use a Sony HD tuner and pick up all night jazz on Public Radio. I should have the 22,s by Friday, so I'll report back after the breakin.
James

I've been comparing the BS22's to a pair of $600 Tannoy bookshelves with 6" drivers. The Pioneers do quite well, not quite as much bass, and don't image as well, but for about $95 USD they do admirably well. And they look nicer too.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of having to wait for the BS22 delivery is that I have gotten to know the BS41's a lot better. Although I have had them for a number of years, I haven't played them that much. That's why I never sell equipment. Revisiting them with different associated equipment can sometimes produce a revelation. I am finding the BS41's very musical, especially with jazz. The 22's will have their work cut out for them.

James

Currently on sale at amazon.com for $89.99 with free shipping. And don't forget, if you have a BestBuy near you, they price match amazon.

Wow, what a thread, started in 2013 and here we are coming to Christmas in 2016! Thanks folks, that was very interesting reading. Someone asked about comparing the Dayton Air speakers with the BS22's and I do have both.The Daytons are sealed systems and the BS22's are rear ported which makes proper positioning of the BS22 a bit more difficult. The AMT tweeter of the Daytons is in a class by itself and the bass performance of the BS22 is amazingly good for the small 4" woofer it has. They both are very satisfying speakers to listen to.

Direct comparison is difficult because they are in different rooms and are using different electronics. I am not using a sub woofer on either system. I primarily listen to the Daytons, not because they are better than the BS22's, but because they fit into my living room credenza and I listen while ensconced in my very comfortable recliner.

The BS22's are in my study at bookshelf level and my listening chair is an office style unit, which is a lot more uncomfortable for long term listening. I am elderly and am a bit handicapped due to major operations, so ending up in my recliner is the thing to do!

I really should listen to the BS22's more, but right now my impression is that they definitely exhibit the smooth, slightly laid back New England sound that I personally prefer. They remind me very very much of my AR4x speakers when they were in excellent condition.

It has been mentioned that the BS22's are again on sale, and if I were thinking of buying, I would grab a pair.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas!

Wow, what a thread, started in 2013 and here we are coming to Christmas in 2016! Thanks folks, that was very interesting reading. Someone asked about comparing the Dayton Air speakers with the BS22's and I do have both.The Daytons are sealed systems and the BS22's are rear ported which makes proper positioning of the BS22 a bit more difficult. The AMT tweeter of the Daytons is in a class by itself and the bass performance of the BS22 is amazingly good for the small 4" woofer it has. They both are very satisfying speakers to listen to.

Direct comparison is difficult because they are in different rooms and are using different electronics. I am not using a sub woofer on either system. I primarily listen to the Daytons, not because they are better than the BS22's, but because they fit into my living room credenza and I listen while ensconced in my very comfortable recliner.

The BS22's are in my study at bookshelf level and my listening chair is an office style unit, which is a lot more uncomfortable for long term listening. I am elderly and am a bit handicapped due to major operations, so ending up in my recliner is the thing to do!

I really should listen to the BS22's more, but right now my impression is that they definitely exhibit the smooth, slightly laid back New England sound that I personally prefer. They remind me very very much of my AR4x speakers when they were in excellent condition.

It has been mentioned that the BS22's are again on sale, and if I were thinking of buying, I would grab a pair.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas!
The BS22 have been on my amazon wish list for 2 years. I now have a place for them and consequently placed an order for them last night. Looking forward to listening to them.

Checking back in after a few weeks. Yeah, I agree that the BS22's have a laid back presentation. I'd say that they don't image quite as well as more expensive speakers, but for the money should be on anyone's short list. I'm wavering on whether I really want to do the tweeter mod or not! The bass they have for a 4 inch driver is exceptional and the rounded cabinets are real lookers for the money. Color me happy!

Oh, I tried the SW8mkII subwoofer. Unfortunately it quickly developed the bad habit of not working! So back to Amazon it went.

I've had mine for 10 days. I'm on the fence about the mod. Sometimes the upper end is rolled off, sometimes not; it depends on the song. Sometimes the bass is a bit boomy. These are paired with a Polk sub.

My preamp has tone controls that can be enabled with an on/off button. It has a remote that can also enable the tone. I have adjusted the bass & treble so I can quickly enable what I feel is improved EQ depending on the song.

Checking back in after a few weeks. Yeah, I agree that the BS22's have a laid back presentation. I'd say that they don't image quite as well as more expensive speakers, but for the money should be on anyone's short list. I'm wavering on whether I really want to do the tweeter mod or not! The bass they have for a 4 inch driver is exceptional and the rounded cabinets are real lookers for the money. Color me happy!

Oh, I tried the SW8mkII subwoofer. Unfortunately it quickly developed the bad habit of not working! So back to Amazon it went.

I have the BS-21's. They were on a blowout on Newegg for $49 a pair. I tried the Pioneer subwoofer and returned it. It was underwhelming for the money. I bought an 8" powered sub ($55) from Monoprice and kept it.

I just enjoy these speakers so much. I have them powered by a Nad C356BEE while I'm gaming on the computer in the man cave, and they never get fatiguing. They look good too! Or about as good as black vinyl can get.

Back
Top Bottom