Pioneer speaker cross over problems

Pioneered

I have a pair of Pioneer 90W CS-701A's and the pots/dials on both cabinets I believe are bad, cutting in and out with static when turned) so I tried to clean them up with plain ole contact cleaner and they just didn't get much better.
Seen that HIGH level control pot's contacts on one where bent and I dissembled it, cleaned and straighten and though I got it put together right but, now nothing out of it. I tell ya these speakers have been a pain as of late but, when there working they sound great.....if there elevated off the floor.
Anyway, anyone know if there are other Pioneer model speakers that use the same crossover, because I looked every where and nothing except crossovers for 801's, 99's 77's & 901's etc. Although the 901's crossovers look identical in every way the values of the components differ.....naturally. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Or maybe someone that has better eye's that would maybe take on the job of trying to repair the two I have. I'm open to just about anything at this point just so I don't have to screw with these anymore. Thank you LiftHat.gif

I couldn't find any good images of the crossovers.
Could you post a few?
The pots can be upgraded with new pots. I think. You have to ohm them out. Find the value(s).

I couldn't find any good images of the crossovers.
Could you post a few?
The pots can be upgraded with new pots. I think. You have to ohm them out. Find the value(s).

Oops! Sorry that was my intention (to post a photo and I forgot).
I was hoping to just to get 2 full cross overs but, if I have to rebuild these I reckon that's what I gotta do.
Now this photo is of a 901 but, like I said they are almost identical except there 4 speaker not 3 like 701A's and values are different naturally.
Also, just to mention, I can only find a circuit diagram of the 701 not a 701A and the 701's are only 70W and the 701A's are 90W but the 901's are 100W.
image_51228.jpg

Last edited:
Usually pots in xovers are "L" pads, this is used to maintain a constant load Z as to not change the xover frequencies.

Thank you sir. I'm going to check the crossovers again, see if the Pot I rebuilt is correct and making contact properly.
If not I may try to correct it or just unsolder it from the board and get readings off all of them and replace them all along with the caps
just to be safe while I'm in there. Any advice as to what brand of electrolytic caps I should look for? Oh! how much + or - do you suggest I can go on ohm's if I replace the pots with new
not knowing if I can get exact matches?

Look up on how a L pad works. verify that it is an L pad to start with, it should measure the same relatve ohms throughout the travel from cw to ccw. These things are usually cheap parts used by the mfg. i have changed or removed everyone I have in speakers as they usually are intermittant contacts. For my A/Lansing models 3's I bought some new ones from madisound.
Nichicon BP caps are fine, get 100V if you can. Use one or more ecaps in parallel to make up the required value you need
Select from this list
https://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...0yoh9Z1yx4avvZ1yx4avuZ1yx4atuZ1z0z819Z1z0z7l5.

Look up on how a L pad works. verify that it is an L pad to start with, it should measure the same relatve ohms throughout the travel from cw to ccw. These things are usually cheap parts used by the mfg. i have changed or removed everyone I have in speakers as they usually are intermittant contacts. For my A/Lansing models 3's I bought some new ones from madisound.
Nichicon BP caps are fine, get 100V if you can. Use one or more ecaps in parallel to make up the required value you need
Select from this list
https://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...0yoh9Z1yx4avvZ1yx4avuZ1yx4atuZ1z0z819Z1z0z7l5.

Thank you sir, I don't believe they are L pads by the schematic but, it's for a 701 and not a 701A. Although they also seem to have 6 legs and not 3 as the L pads I've seen.
I'll get those caps and pots/ L pads which ever they be next month and get to work. I'll let ya know how it all comes out and thank you again for your help sir. LiftHat.gif

Back
Top Bottom