Pioneer Speaker plugs

Oerets

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know I'm not the first to do this but thought a few pics might help someone out .

Less then $3.00 and 15 mins of tweaking ...

Attachments

• Pioneer 2B.jpg
    Pioneer 2B.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,986
  • Pioneer plug 2a.jpg
    Pioneer plug 2a.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,549
Last edited:
Hello ,That's just what I needed.Tell me where to buy the parts>I bought a pair of the originals for $20.00 and I will send them back.Are those two prong or did you have to remove one prong off the plug!!!

Local hardware store , standard two wire AC replacement plug . Get the type were both leads are the same size (old style) then bend one side and file them to fit .

Barney

I know this is an old post but I just want to thank "Oerets" for posting it. I have a Pioneer SX-626 that was laying around because I had no plugs for it. Its now in service with solid speaker plugs that cost me $3.20.
This is why I love AK. There are alot of very bright members who post simple as well as complicated solutions to problems with vintage gear.

Here is a picture of the type of plugs I use .

They do need to be filed down some to fit but do a good job .

PioneerPlugB.jpg

Pioneer2B.jpg

Barney

This is an elegant solution that I shall reference to incessantly. :banana::D

The yellow innards type plugs seem work the best , some of the others will break when you go to twist the one end . The brand name is Cooper , they just came out of a bin at the HW store . Cost $1.18 ea ...

Found a couple that had the name you could read on the bottom .

Barney

Last edited:
So... how did you bend the leads? Did you have to cut half of it first? I can't tell because the photo is too blurry.

The brass is soft enough to twist with pliers, IF you go slow and careful. No cuts necessary.

Larry

FWIW, I spotted the 12VDC battery charging cord for Honda portable genrators that appears to be the same plug. I am aware that some generators us a similar plug with the blades in a "V" configuration but the one that I saw was not. It was in the familiar "L" configuration. The version that I saw had a molded boot and about 15 feet of what looked like 18G wire attached. I could not get a close enough look at the package at the time to see if the wire and the boot could be removed to replace the wire. It might be worth looking at the next time you are in a tool and equipment rental place.

This thread shows a very intersting twist to obtaining these hard to find plugs. I like it. Thanks!

I always forget and bend the one lead first so don't know if it is any easier bending after shaping . I bend them with Lineman's pliers .
First I clip the end off at the bottom of the little circle . Top is towards the tip .
So the whole circle is cut off , easy to do with wire cutters .

Then to the DP to round the cut edges and sides of the blades , Some fine filing to fit into the connector .

Barney

Here a picture of a set I just pulled off a Pioneer , and some of the others that don't work so well . The pair on the top right are to cheap and break easy .

The little circle or a hole is in the blade , hope this picture is better .

PioneerPlugIV.jpg

Barney

The yellow innards type plugs seem work the best , some of the others will break when you go to twist the one end . The brand name is Cooper , they just came out of a bin at the HW store . Cost $1.18 ea ...

Found a couple that had the name you could read on the bottom .

Barney

I'll second that. I could only find cheap ones but I was smart enough to buy three in case I broke one. Sure enough, I broke the first one. I used a grinder to trim them but you have to go slow. Otherwise, the heat buildup will melt the plastic.

I think we dubbed these as "Ghetto Plugs" some time back.

I find that this Cooper plug works very well. They're cheap, about $2.00 each. If you're careful about twisting the blade as well as filing down the blade, they work great!

As the owner of several vintage Pioneer receivers, they're very handy!

Attachments

• Cooper plug.jpg
    Cooper plug.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 302
Back
Top Bottom