Pioneer Speaker plugs

Cool..

I need a several as I gave two sets away. Got a SX 727 as project and have only one set of plugs! Great post:thmbsp:

Your welcome ,

Others probably have done something like this over the years I'm sure .

One time while making up some thought of taking a picture and posting here . Seeing how often people will get a unit needing plugs and post here for advice .

Barney

I found the same plugs you posted pics of (in white). I was surprised at how easy it was to bend the one prong 90' - way cheaper and easier than ordering anything online!

After finding this thread I was on my bike, at the hardware store that's 3 blocks away, and back home in about 15 minutes.

I'm waking up an SX-828 that's been dormant due to lack of plugs :music:

Now I need a list of capacitors to replace :scratch2:

I think we dubbed these as "Ghetto Plugs" some time back.

I find that this Cooper plug works very well. They're cheap, about $2.00 each. If you're careful about twisting the blade as well as filing down the blade, they work great!

As the owner of several vintage Pioneer receivers, they're very handy!

nah, THESE were the ghetto plugs: (specifically for the zero budget person)
ugly as sin, but quite functional
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273908&highlight=ghetto

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Lots of great and ingenious solutions here. I just recapped an SX-626 and decided to see what I could come up with for speaker plugs just using what I could find lying around. Decided to try flattening a crimp on bullet connector.

65-7521.jpg

Put it on a hard surface with the split facing up, hit it a few times with a hammer (don't be overly zealous or the connector might spread out too wide to fit the positive slot), crimp on the speaker wire, plug it in. Fits quite snug, won't be prone to falling out like a spade connector.

Yes, I'm frugal. :yes: Hope my frugalness will benefit someone else.

After reviewing all the clever ideas on this thread, I took the easy (but not cheap) way out by buying the darn things direct from Pioneer. The cost was $7.25 each plus another $13.00 in shipping/handling charges. The part number is AKM-003. Shipped by UPS and arrived in a week.

I was able to rationalize the cost by figuring that they were to be used for a unit that I got for free. Ironically, it's not a Pioneer but an Akai--an AA-5510 integrated amp from the early 1970s that uses the same dreaded plugs!

After reviewing all the clever ideas on this thread, I took the easy (but not cheap) way out by buying the darn things direct from Pioneer. The cost was $7.25 each plus another $13.00 in shipping/handling charges. The part number is AKM-003. Shipped by UPS and arrived in a week.

I was able to rationalize the cost by figuring that they were to be used for a unit that I got for free. Ironically, it's not a Pioneer but an Akai--an AA-5510 integrated amp from the early 1970s that uses the same dreaded plugs!

Nothing wrong with going OEM. As for me it was just a "gotta do something right now" Then a little Yankee engineering learned from growing up on a farm jumped in.

Barney

Put it on a hard surface with the split facing up, hit it a few times with a hammer (don't be overly zealous or the connector might spread out too wide to fit the positive slot), crimp on the speaker wire, plug it in. Fits quite snug, won't be prone to falling out like a spade connector.

So which one is the +ve? The horizontal on the top or the vertical on the bottom?
I just got sx-424 and one set is missing...

So which one is the +ve? The horizontal on the top or the vertical on the bottom?
I just got sx-424 and one set is missing...

I don't know, but with and ohm meter check to see if there is a common. To say one of the connections is common to the other channel. That would be the negative lead. But if you are only connecting one pair of speakers then just wire them both the same'

Barney

I was fortunate that my (new to me) SX-9000 had two of the speaker plugs - but I did want to mention as much as these are hated - they are amazingly simple and convienient for installing speakers.

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I was about ready to pull the trigger for two sets from Pioneer for around $50 and felt like I was being thoroughly taken advantage of for 4 cheapo plugs that probably cost .25 to produce.

I actually found this thread from a picture in Google images before I joined the forum.

Good stuff!

Didn't know that there was an "oversized DIN speaker plug" on PIONEER components, until now.
That's a great replacement you have found.

Back
Top Bottom