1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer spec 1 and spec 2 connection

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by rocknroll1, May 10, 2017.

1. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have never had separates and need help hooking up. Please let me know if this is correct; Speakers into amp, TT and CD player into pre and pre into amp. 2 questions, 1) how to adjust volume 2) what is the ground post for under amp input?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Volume is controlled by your preamp. Think of your amp as the engine and your preamp as the gas pedal. Not sure about your question 2. Usually ground posts are for grounding a turntable to prevent hum. The TT ground post is usually located adjacent to the phono input jacks. Hope this helps.

3. rocknroll1

so do I hook speakers up to amp or pre

4. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Speakers should be attached to the amplifier. The amp provides the power necessary to drive the speakers.

5. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

Source (tt or CD) > Preamp > Power Amp > speakers.

You should adjust listening volume using the preamp controls. You can use the level controls on the power amp to adjust balance and gain for the power amp stages, but once you set the power amp, you shouldn't regularly adjust the amp settings, just the preamp controls.

6. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

You can run very short wires from the amp to the pre-amp on the spec 1.

Then hook your speakers up to the spec 1.

This way you can use the headphone jack also. Otherwise you won't get any sound out of the headphone jack.

7. DrumminDaddy

DrumminDaddy Hit it, Baby !!

slow_jazz is correct. The Spec 1 is a bit unique in that the output of the amp is looped back into the pre-amp. The speakers are then connected to the pre-amp. This allows the headphone jack to function as well as giving function to the A/B speaker selection. If you are only running one pair of speakers, and/or do not use the headphone jack, you can certainly hook your speakers directly to the amplifier and it would work as well.

IMG_0202.PNG IMG_0204.PNG IMG_0205.PNG IMG_0206.PNG

8. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, the more you know!

9. rocknroll1

10. rocknroll1

thanks for all the help, I got it hooked up, running speakers to preamp and pre to amp. One last question, will it overheat the amp with the pre sitting on top of it? Also I am getting some popping thru the right channel, do you think it is more than likely coming from the preamp? Clean the pots?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. HiFiThor

HiFiThor Active Member

Do not block the flow or air through the Spec 2 power amp. It would be OK to place the Spec 2 on top of the Spec 1 preamp provided the feet are on the Spec 2 lifting it off the sheet metal top of the preamp.

The popping most likely is coming from a faulty capacitor in the Spec 2 somewhere on the driver board which is attached to the finned heat sinks. The board behind the meters is almost all made up of the protection and meter drive circuitry and usually doesn't affect any sound quality. You must be very careful poking around inside this amp. There are thermistors screwed to the edge of the heat sinks on top towards the back. The leads on these components are very brittle and are easy to break. I had to use a dremel tool to grind back enough of the epoxy to get enough of a bare lead to solder on a wire to keep them functional. The thermistors sense high temp conditions and send a signal to shut down the amp to protect it.

12. rocknroll1

Thanks, I will pass this info to the tech working on it. I am not very capable of working on these past cleaning switches.

13. Ed Parks

Ed Parks New Member

I have the Spec 1 and Spec 2 setup. I want to listen to music thru the headphones without turning on the power amp. Is there any possible configuration that will allow the headphone jack to receive audio without turning on the power amp?

14. miklemke

miklemke AK Subscriber Subscriber

For the headphones to work, you must have the Spec 2 outputs run back into the Spec 1 and both the Spec 1 & 2 turned on. The Spec 1 controls the volume. If you just want the headphones on and the speakers off, turn the Spec 1 Speaker switch to "Off".