Pioneer Spec 1 questions.....

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by 76rocker, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 76rocker

76rocker New Member

Im not at all savvy when it comes to this stuff so please bear with me. I understand that a Spec 1 is a preamp. Can It be used on its own w/o a power amp such as Spec 2...........

If so, what is the power output rating per channel on a spec 1.............

I have an SA 8500 II integrated amp. Could I connect a Spec 2 power amplifier to it.............

How are the Spec amps with HPM 100s.........................

Any info is appreciated.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

No it needs a power amplifier of some sort. SPEC 2,4 or whatever amp you desire.

3. 76rocker

76rocker New Member

Why is there speaker terminals on it then............

Forgive me, my damn question mark doesnt work on my keyboard.

4. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

The SPEC 1 has a way to switch from speaker" A "to speaker" B".Most pre-amps don't have this option.And probably because the SPEC 2 and 4 has no SPK A or B switch.Most other power amps do. Its a damn fine pre-amp though.
    Heres the owners manual.It should explain how to use the speaker connections. It starts on page 6..

http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/spec-1om.pdf

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. 76rocker

76rocker New Member

Thank you. Im gonna read through this.

6. spok

spok Atmospheric Disturbance

cant you take the amp/preamp jumpers off his 8500 and use that as his power with the spec as the pre?

7. Turbota

Turbota Active Member

Yup ... Like others have said, the Spec 1 is a pre-amp.

To complete the system you will need a power amp. As others have said, the sisters to the Spec 1 pre-amp was either a Spec 2 or a Spec 4 power amp.

Obviously, you can use any other brand of power amp with the Spec 1.

Some people don't like to have to buy both a pre-amp and a power amp, so they just get an Integrated amp (that combines the pre-amp and the power amp all in 1 box).

Here is a photo of my old Pioneer system I had before moving to the Philippines. A Spec 1 pre-amp and the Spec 4 power amp. Great sound with the right set of speakers. Gave it away prior to moving here. If I was smart, I would have shipped it ... oh well !

BTW ... I once had a set of Pioneer HPM-1500 speakers that were powered by this system ... but there long gone. If your into Pioneer stuff, you might try finding a set, but the 1500s are getting pretty rare I understand. The 1500s have massive 15 1/2" woofers that are good down to about 25 hz. No real need for a powered subwoofer with those puppies. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010