Pioneer SX-1000TW power specs?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by WickedSharp, Nov 1, 2016.

1. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Beautiful - LOVE IT!! Goes really well with KLH Seventeens too. Hook it up to a decent antenna and the FM tuner will surprise you with its sensitivity.

2. jojo0416

jojo0416 aka Karipas

Congratulations! I used to have one, my parents own it back in '72 and I put it in my room in high school. 8 years ago I had it serviced prior moving here due to blown-outputs and did not get it back. Those are warm sounding units.

3. larryderouin

larryderouin You can be sure if it's Westinghouse??????? Subscriber

I got a Allied 395 a few months ago, and compared it with my 790. I like the sound of the 395(1000TW) better than the 790. The 395 sounds fuller in all regimes, where the 790 sounds flat and sterile. The 395 would compare favorably to a SX-727 or a SX-737 in power and sound quality. I would also equate the 395 with a Sansui 2000, 2000A, or 2000X. Very Tube like sound quality in the 2000's and the 395.

4. WickedSharp

WickedSharp Scratchy and crunchy is how I like it Subscriber

Control amp recap getting wrapped up.
    Only the Head amp is left.

IMG_2658.JPG

5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

I'd have it tested using a scope to see if it's within specs before I start doing any work on it.....and replace only what needs be !

6. WickedSharp

I know, I've heard that and it makes sense. I've never done a complete recap though and wanted to see if I hear a difference.

7. tuberadios69

tuberadios69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know this is an old post but how did the recap go? I picked up an absolutely mint Allied 395 on ebay last week just for kicks to listen with headphones in the bedroom. It works great and the wood case looks brand new. I've never seen such an immaculately clean late 60's era receiver before. Not even a speck of dust on the circuit boards inside! I'm thinking I'll end up doing a recap at some point so I'm curious how yours went and how it has held up. Since I have no speakers connected to the 395, I did put 13.5 ohm, 10-watt resistors (closest resistors I had to 10ohm/10-watt) on the speaker plugs even though I immediately switch it to headphones-only when using it. I'm presuming that's a good idea. Using a cheap T-wire antenna but did order a CCrane FM Reflect antenna for it a couple days ago.
    Cheers!

8. larryderouin

larryderouin You can be sure if it's Westinghouse??????? Subscriber

With it in Headphone mode you don't need the dummy loads. Put it on a power strip and leave the power/speaker switch in Headphones, and use the power strip to power ON/OFF.

9. tuberadios69

Thanks for the suggestion Larry. I put the resistors there just in case I ever forget to turn the switch all the way to headphones-only. I did the same thing with a Pioneer QX-8000A that the Allied 395 sits on top of. Just a precaution; both receivers are plugged into a Tripplite power strip that also has a few other items plugged into it including a bedside lamp and my alarm clock.

10. kydog

kydog AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ve always been partial to this Receiver

Attached Files:

stevepaige likes this.
  11. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the Ta version - tube tuner section. Wonderfull sounding with AR2Ax speakers BTW. I think I really like cap coupled units.

stevepaige likes this.
  12. WickedSharp

Recap went great. I love the receiver. Currently the daily driver in my home office hooked up the The Smaller Advents that I rebuilt.

kydog, lilwing, Drugolf and 2 others like this.
  13. tuberadios69

Glad to hear you are using and enjoying the Pioneer! To answer some earlier questions by others, the Allied 395 was tested as providing 35 watts rms per channel at 8 ohms with both channels driven at under 0.15% THD (presumably at 1khz) by High Fidelity magazine in Feb 1969 and confirmed by Consumer Reports in a 1970 issue where several other receivers were tested including the Pioneer SX1500TD. Very well made products that have stood the test of time!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018