Pioneer sx-1000TW VS Pioneer sx-6000 ?

bluenote79

What would the main differences in sound be between these two receivers?

I currently own an Sx-6000. I really like the warm sound I get from it, combined with my Fisher XP7 speakers. There is an Sx-1000TW for sale that the owner says sounds almost like a tube amp. It's been recently serviced and is for sale for $250. Just curious if I'd be getting something that sounds almost the same as the one I currently own or if it would be an upgrade.

If it's an upgrade and would sound even warmer than my current receiver, I may buy it and sell the sx-6000, because I've been having some intermittent issues with it anyway .

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
The 100tw is way older than the 6000. You have a better chance of problems with the older one. They are both great units, but are significantly different from each other.

I agree with KingBubba. Further, what do they mean by serviced? Usually this means that the controls are cleaned of corrosion. The 1000TW is from ~1970 and will need a lot of work (caps, whatever) if not previously replaced. I have the 1000TD (close brother to the TW) and received a $400 estimate to refurbish it. For this sort of change you could purchase an actual tube amp (if that is the sound you are looking for).

Thanks for your responses guys. @rmeade As far as what the owner had serviced, this was his reply, "I only had some lamps replaced, had it totally lubed and cleaned, and deoxed, and it cost me $130. The pots were filthy, but when I got it back, it played beautifully."

The 6000 is full of old caps and transistors that should be replaced as well. I would not consider one to be less trouble than the other in the long run. The 1000 will have a great warm sound, as noted. I would probably go with that one, honestly. Those old SS units sound amazing. I have a qx-8000A, which is similar to the SX-6000, and I think the 1000 sounds better.

I have the 1000TW and know nothing of the SX6000. The TW is very early in the Pioneer ss game. I don't find it to be slow or lacking in detail. It's rated at 50 big watts for 1971, and makes most of it. It sounds a lot better than my SX626 did. By comparison the 626 sounded like mud with no power. The $250 price is tall. More like $150.

Thanks everyone, for your comments. I decided to pass on the Sx-1000TW based on everyone's thoughts. @quiet, reading your footnote section under your post got me curious. I know nothing about Sherwood, but I picked up a receiver from a thrift store recently. It's a Sherwood S9200CP. I've tested it and it works, but I need to hit it with some Deoxit. Would you use the Sherwood over one of these older Pioneers as your main amp?

I don't know anything about the S9200CP. I have a Sherwood S8900A, third from the top, third from the left. 1974, 60 watts. It doesn't sound like1974, it sounds like 1965 to 1982 solid state. I can't say it's better than the SX780 Pioneer I have but it's better than most receivers I have. It pairs well with all the speakers, not all the other receivers do.
I use it more than all the others combined. Next up is the Kenwood TK140X, black decal on back, not silver decal.
Everything in the picture is very good and has a very distinct sound. At first I didn't hear it but as time goes on I can tell more and more.
Just as many 30 to 50 wat units have hit the road as what you see left.
As for your Fisher XP7 speakers, I have a pair of XP7B that I like better than the XP7's I had. I hear them as a warm lazy midrange speaker. They don't do well with warm amps. The only thing I have that really cleans them up is the Yamaha CR600. But the CR600 hates Pioneer CS99A speakers.
So I question your speakers more than your amp. At this point I suggest you keep the amp and get a pair of Rectilinear 111's for $200 or Electro Voice Empire speakers with horns for $300. If you want to make damn sure you keep the "warm" sound try Bozak 302A for $250 or Wharfedale W70D for $150. Maybe the Fisher XP10 for $150 but you will need LOTS of power. Like SX980 power that I sold because I never need that power. For that much noise I don't use the XP10's.

P4190009.JPG

@quiet Thanks for such a detailed response! When you suggest speakers and prices like you did above (Rectilinear 111's for $200 or Electro Voice Empire speakers with horns for $300) where do you recommend finding this type of gear at these prices? None of it is listed locally on Craigslist or anywhere like that.

Then you have a problem. I got them on craigs or ebay. For ebay I did a search for speakers within 150 miles.

Back
Top Bottom