Pioneer SX 1000TW vs SX 828

tnamrog

Currently have a Pioneer SX 750 but thought I might add to my collection. On craigslist are two listings, a Pioneer 1000TW and a SX 828. They are both about the same price and distance. The 1000 TW has a nice wood case, described as clean and recently refurbished but only has one of the speaker plugs. The 828 is described as working and has 5 of the speaker plugs and comes with a pair of Pioneer cs g303 speakers. Just want to get the Pioneer forum opinion of one vs the other. (Note to administrator, if this belongs in dollar and sense, I'm sorry and please relocate).

Tom

I'd go with the 828. The SX-1000TW is a generation older, and a mid level unit. The SX-828 was the TOTL unit in 1971-72.
The SX-1000TW has 1 maybe 2 useless inputs (tape head & XTAL/CERAMIC Terminal)unless you have a tape deck that has direct connections from the tape head (no preamp, similar to a TEAC 4000 or 4010) or you have a phono with a ceramic cartridge. It only has one Tape Monitor connection.

The SX-828 has 2 phono inputs plus you can use aux for ceramic cartridge. It has 2 tape monitors, and 1 Aux. Make sure the PRE-OUT/MAIN IN Jumpers are installed. These connect the preamp to the AMP. (See Owners and Service manuals here) Both units have Owners and service manuals on this page.

Output wattage is about the same, but the 828 has a few more watts. The 1000TW DOES NOT HAVE a protection Relay circuit, while the 828 does. IIRC the 1000TW is cap coupled while the 828 is direct coupled to the speakers.

I'd go with the 828. As far as the speakers go, apparently the consensus on AK is they don't really sound bad for budget speakers. Rebuild the x-over and it might just mellow out for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=PIONEER+cs+g303+speakers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks for pointing out the differences, I'll probably go for the 828, which is the way I was leaning. The speakers aren't really a concern of mine I have better ones I can use. I just wanted to include them because it was a package deal.

Before you toss the 1000TW overboard, I'd find out what the "refurb" consisted of. If there are new caps, transistors etc in there it would become part of my decision. If refurb means a good cleaning, deoxit treatment, and new lamps then I'd go with the 828.

The 1000TW is nice receiver.

Mine was a bit distorted in sound as-bought.
I refurbished it with new caps and small signal transistors.
It has plenty of power for typical at-home (50 W/ch).
It is build very solidly, with a heavily damped feel to all of the controls and a thick plywood case with walnut veneer.
An important attribute that I discovered is that it is easy to work on. Even an novice like me could get to everything without a struggle.

Mine has a very sharp tuner. You will find others claiming on this site the same.

The 1000TW is not as flashy as an 828, being made near the beginning of the time (1971) when receiver aesthetics were becoming very important in the market.
It is very practically styled, a simple silver front with plain knobs, black dial and white lettering on the dial.

I has a nice warm sound to it. I like it, but it strikes me as a legacy of the 1960s.
The 828 looks more like a taste of things to come.

Larry did a good job of listing the pros and cons regarding the inputs.
It does have the feature of individual tone controls for the front and rear speakers

All depending on your tastes, I am sure that you could be happy with either one.

Back
Top Bottom