pioneer sx 1010 problems

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by turbolite81, Mar 12, 2009.

1. turbolite81

turbolite81 pioneer & vega nut

i have 2 sx 1010's. one i got from my dad that needed many repairs, and one from ebay. the one from ebay is in better shape but it came damaged in shipment with a cracked power output board. i replaced it with one from the one i had. it worked but would cutout at high volume,and was staticky when kicked on. i removed the front panel and cleaned all contacts with permatex contact cleaner,dried it with nitrogen and fired it back up. now it will only push the left speaker???? if i put it in mono mode it will push both, with the balance useable. i ohmed the balance knob out and it was .2900 in all positions on the right side. did i use the wrong contact cleaner? i thought i may have disturbed the wiring,so i ohmed every leg with no problems found. i read that it was also a good idea to solder the twist joints, so i did. i also checked for any previous cold solder joints and i found none.????? i dont get it??? the power down at high volume and now the balance problem. what did i do wrong? i also tried 3 different sets of speakers on the relay trouble. all had the same problem. i was wondering if it was a load problem but i guess not. i tried 2 different set of 8 ohms and my trusty 4 ohm vegas with no difference

2. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

The only thing you should use for contact cleaning is Caig DeOxit D5. The only thing you should use for cleaning pots is Caig FaderLube.

The 1010 allows you to use the amp and preamp separately. You can also remove the jumpers and use a regular IC cable to swap the L&R preamp outputs into the amp to see if the issue changes, thus helping to determine if the problem is originating in the amp or preamp.

My experiance with the 1010 tells me that you have taken the long way around in your attempt to remedy the problem. 19 times out of 20, a missing channel on a 1010 is due to dirty switches. Get the proper cleaner (available through AK sponsor Parts Express) and try again.

Here's a thread where I posted a pic of an easy method to clean the push switches on the 1010: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144322

And yes, I got your PM. Yes, I'm an ass. Doesn't prevent me from trying to help in my cranky way. Don't take it personal. ;)

3. turbolite81

thank you echowars

4. turbolite81

do you have any suggestions on a retail store that would carry the deoxit chemicals? i tried radio shack and they never heard of it. here in fort worth its raining cats and dogs so i figure ill work on the pioneer tomorrow, im obviously not gonna do anything outside

5. turbolite81

never mind. guitar centers carry's both:D

6. EchoWars

AK sponsor Parts Express is where I buy mine. Have to pay shipping, but I am usually ordering $75 worth of other stuff anyway.

7. turbolite81

i wanted to do it tomorrow.do you think 2 cans of each is enough? its 12$ a can. i have nothing better to do, so i thought i would consume my self in pioneer repair.

8. johnnm

johnnm Audio Enthusiast

You should be able to clean MANY pieces of equipment with a single can of each. This stuff is kind of expensive like you mentioned. When you're cleaning you're only spraying for a short amount of time on a small area - the stuff lasts.

9. turbolite81

ive cleaned the switches with de oxit 3 times. ive found that the unit works in all channels but only with the tone control off. i ohmed the switch and it is working ok. i also noticed that the power relay takes about 1 1/2 min to kick on. the tone control did work once but that was at first fire up and then it faded out. thats why i cleaned the unit for the 3rd time. another problem i have encountered since i got this unit is the tuner only works when it wants to. some times after playing it a while and some times when it first kicks on but usually only last about 5 min.any ideas out there?

10. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

It most likely is the power supply - a rebuild will shake all the bugs out of it. Caps and transistors, maybe a few resistors.

I was working on a 1010 a while back that had a "lazy tuner", and I ended up replacing the transistors, caps and a few resistors in the power supply. Presto - started behaving like a Marine....

There's instructions and parts lists to be found here to do that, and I'll look in to see if other parts are called for. It won't be expensive - most caps and transistors on it are under a buck - the resistors will be about a dime?

11. turbolite81

thanks for the info. i will rebuild the board. i am curious though????? i mess with it daily and have found that since de oxing it that it getts better every day. the power relay kicks on in about 3 sec. and im having no balance or tone issues. now the tuner is still on the frits but all else seems good. does it take time under operating conditions for the deoxit to work or is this just a coincedence?

12. turbolite81

we have a mouser electronics here in ft worth. can i take them a copy of the parts list from my service manual and get the parts or has a lot changed since this was printed 34 yrs ago? let me remind all that this is a hobbie that im trying to get serious with,, so please bare with me

13. Twenty20Man

Twenty20Man Is that you Michael?

do a search on "sx-1010" in pioneer audio. Mark lists a transistor, diode replacement part numbers from mouser.

14. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

Mouser is the one, lucky dog - being right there...

BUT the parts numbers are most likely obsolete. Even with the right numbers I don't think they do will call, but shipping across town should be quick...

Plus you don't need ALL the parts - just a select few. The electrolytic caps dry out after 20 - 30 years....

The power supply parts numbers are listed in multiple threads in here.

15. turbolite81

is it possible to test caps to see if they are failing? i have 2 power supply boards. on of them was damaged during shippment and the caps have a glue at the base. i was figuring that would be original. now the board i have installed has some without the glue and look to be newer. the board came from my dads stereo and i know he had alot of work done within the past 5 yrs but im unshure of what it was.

16. turbolite81

the only cap references i have found so far were for the 838 and so forth. does the 1010 use the same caps in the supply board??????

17. ZeroJunk

ZeroJunk Super Member

From another thread by Mark all Mouser part numbers

18. turbolite81

ok all my parts for the power supply came today. i am curious, on the transistors mounted to the heat sink, should i use the mica insulators or thermal compound? or both????? also is there any additional upgrades i should do to keep it cool. i will be pushing this unit hard for a few hours at a time?

19. EchoWars

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

The metal tab of the transistor is at the collector potential, and without insulation you'll be shorting all of them together, since they share the same heatsink. A Bad Thing™.

20. turbolite81

are there any upgrades suggested for this unit while i have it apart. i have a pair of cerwin vega at-15' that i like to push to the limit, and i would hate all of this work to go south