Pioneer SX-1010

KeithD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Pioneer SX-780 that I really like, but would also like to acquire an example from the x3x series of Pioneer receivers. I've read they sound good and I really like the look. From researching the features on these, I think I'd like one of the following 838, 939, or 1010. I recently found a listing on CL for a 1010 for sale. The seller states that it powers up, but can't get any sound out of it. Seller is asking $250. Cosmetic condition looks great from the pictures, but is that a reasonable price for a unit without sound? What kinds of questions should I be asking the seller? Is this something I should stay away from and look for a working unit?

Thanks for any advice!

Unless you can repair it yourself, steer clear - the repairs will end up costing more than the total value. In fact, the Classic Receivers site says that a good working will sell for about $400 (I didn't research it further to find out how accurate it is). Of course, you could always go take a look and check for missing preamp jumpers (although some unscrupulous sellers will pull those in order to fool people who know about them).

Thanks for the advice. I did look at "sold" listings on e-bay, and the average selling price (with shipping) for an un-restored, but working 1010 seemed to be $450. Given that, I did think $250 was high. There is a picture of the back in the listing and the preamp jumpers are there, so I assumed that was not the issue. I'm not a tech, so I'd be looking for advice on how to fix it/searching the web in order to get it working. The outside does look minty, which is why I have some interest plus everything I've read says they sound great. However, I don't want to waste $$$ either on something that can't be repaired or will cost more that it is worth.

You could always offer him $150 and see how he reacts. Not being familiar with the receiver, my second thought after the preamp jumpers is possibly output fuses or output relay. Thing is, if you buy something that's not working, you are accepting the risk that something major has gone wrong. Without experience, you have no idea, and without experience, you haven't established any relationships with any local techs who could help you fix it if it is something major. Regardless, if you buy it, you are taking on a project. It might pay off, or it might not.

You could always offer him $150 and see how he reacts. Not being familiar with the receiver, my second thought after the preamp jumpers is possibly output fuses or output relay. Thing is, if you buy something that's not working, you are accepting the risk that something major has gone wrong. Without experience, you have no idea, and without experience, you haven't established any relationships with any local techs who could help you fix it if it is something major. Regardless, if you buy it, you are taking on a project. It might pay off, or it might not.
Totally agree with that. There is a local guy here that fixes old stereo equipment. I haven't asked his opinion yet, but I suspect he will say not to pay more than $100. He tends to have very realistic ideas on values, which is very good! I've purchased a number of components from him. Might be best for me to stay clear of this one. I don't really need 110 wpc. Something around 40 is sufficient for me. However, I do think the 1010 is very versatile, especially with three speaker outputs and four input/output combinations for up to four tape decks or similar equipment. I don't think Pioneer had that on any other equipment.

Keep an eye out for one of the smaller models. I had a SX-737 that sounded really nice. It would drive most of the common vintage speakers to decent levels with 35 wpc. I ran a variety of acoustic suspension speakers with it.

Or if the audio market in your area is as crappy as mine, maybe you could get that SX-1010 for a decent price. All these vintage receivers will need some work eventually. If the 1010 is in good cosmetic condition, it might be a good candidate for a restoration.

I agree the vintage Pioneers have a nice sound. I have owned all the popular brand vintage receivers, and always end up coming back to Pioneer.

I've looked into the 737, and 35 wpc would be totally fine for me. However, moving to the 838 you get an additional input/output, which Pioneer called "Adapter" (same with the 939, 1010 has TWO adapters!) I think I'd like that flexibility, which is why I have not been looking for a 737 or lower models.

Another option I have been reading and thinking about is a combo SA/TX 8100 or 9100. There are some neat features on the SA models that are lacking on the SX line. I really like the idea of the option for attenuated volume on the SA 8100/9100. About half the time I like playing music low for background, and the SA has a much wider range for fine tuning the volume. Also, I REALLY like the option on the SA-9100 for a separate volume control on speaker B. Often I find my B speakers (KLH Model 17) too loud (because I am closer to them than my A speakers - KLH Model 6). Is there another easy way to tone down B speakers in relation to A?

I had the SA-9100 and it is really nice. And beautiful. But around here, an unrestored version in good condition is around $400. I also had the TX-9100 and it was really nice too, and a looker. Here is a Spec 2, the TX-9100, and the SA-9100. They've all moved on.IMG_0405.JPG

The SX-737 is probably my favorite of the x3x lineup. It gives you two tape monitor loops, allows you to record from tape 1 to tape 2 and from tape 2 to tape 1 (which is awesome, most receivers in this class go from 1 to 2 only) plus it has the record output selector that allows you to record from any input to either output, very flexible. It's got a great tuner and phono section, classic styling and good looks, sounds great with plenty of power for most any application and it doesn't have that row of annoying and troublesome black buttons like the SX-838 and higher models have. IMO it has just the right amount of features without overdoing it. It would be nice if it had preamp out/power amp in jacks but still you can't really go wrong with that one.

I also agree on the SA-9100 but also consider the SA-8100. It's essentially the same but with a little less power and usually a lot cheaper if you can find one in good shape.

The SX-737 is probably my favorite of the x3x lineup. It gives you two tape monitor loops, allows you to record from tape 1 to tape 2 and from tape 2 to tape 1 (which is awesome, most receivers in this class go from 1 to 2 only) plus it has the record output selector that allows you to record from any input to either output, very flexible. It's got a great tuner and phono section, classic styling and good looks, sounds great with plenty of power for most any application and it doesn't have that row of annoying and troublesome black buttons like the SX-838 and higher models have. IMO it has just the right amount of features without overdoing it. It would be nice if it had preamp out/power amp in jacks but still you can't really go wrong with that one.

I also agree on the SA-9100 but also consider the SA-8100. It's essentially the same but with a little less power and usually a lot cheaper if you can find one in good shape.
Thanks for all the info on the 737, maybe I need to take another look at that. Sounds like it is a lot like the 780 in functionality, though on the 780 you can only record from Tape 1 to Tape 2, which is not really an issue for me. The 780 also does not have pre-amp out/power in jacks. I have not seen any 737's for sale around here at the moment. Just one 727 that has damage to the case. Seller is asking $150.

I was initially looking at the SA-8100. There is one on CL not far from me for $195. Some scratches to the case, but otherwise looks nice and is supposed to be all working. I have to say, though unless there is another easy solution, independent control of volume on B speakers that you get with the SA-9100 is very appealing to me. Don't really need the C speaker option, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

I had the SA-9100 and it is really nice. And beautiful. But around here, an unrestored version in good condition is around $400. I also had the TX-9100 and it was really nice too, and a looker. Here is a Spec 2, the TX-9100, and the SA-9100. They've all moved on.
That is such a beautiful system, I have to ask why you did not keep it?

I've never had one, but everyone I know who has one, is in love with the 1010. Built when Pioneer had it's absolute highest quality and TOL of that series. That being said, I would not pay over $150 and would try to get it for $100. It could be minor, or not.

That is such a beautiful system, I have to ask why you did not keep it?

My main systems are McIntosh MC2205, C26, 2xBose 1801, a Bose 4401, and for backup, I have a McIntosh MA-6200. I also have a Sansui AU-D9.

The Spec 2 sounded fantastic. Lots of clean effortless power. But I bought it to help out a friend, and I wanted to hear it, so I got it fixed and listened to it for a while. Then I sold it for a good price to someone who came from Toronto for it. The SA-9100 I got for cheap and thought it was gorgeous. I got it fully restored, and wasn't really impressed with the sound. I thought it should sound better. It didn't come close to the Kenwood Supremes I had before I got the MC-2205. I wasn't going to sell it, but then I got the Sansui AU-X9 and thought it would be better, and let go the TX and SA 9100s when I figured it would solve the power problems a friend was having driving her Celestion Ditton 44s. It ended up not doing that, and I eventually helped her find a Yamaha M-40. That solved her power problems and she's now listening to the Ditton 44s in all their glory. The preamp section of the SA-9100 was really nice through to phono 1.

I do this because I love vintage gear, I love rescuing it and giving it a new life, and I love passing it on to someone else once I've heard it for a while. In this way I can keep trying new gear without breaking the bank. As well, I put the profits into restoring my keeper gear. I recently got my McIntosh C-26 restored and optimized by Leestereo, and he did a fantastic job! I'm really pleased with the results. My main gear isn't going anywhere, and I think it is really good! The MA-6200 can be the Preamp to my MC2205 if anything goes wrong with the C-26 (which I'm not expecting now), and can drive the Kef Concerto's for a while if anything happens to the MC-2205. Life is good! :)

Last edited:
Totally agree with that. There is a local guy here that fixes old stereo equipment. I haven't asked his opinion yet, but I suspect he will say not to pay more than $100. He tends to have very realistic ideas on values, which is very good! I've purchased a number of components from him. Might be best for me to stay clear of this one. I don't really need 110 wpc. Something around 40 is sufficient for me. However, I do think the 1010 is very versatile, especially with three speaker outputs and four input/output combinations for up to four tape decks or similar equipment. I don't think Pioneer had that on any other equipment.
If I was looking $100 would be tops for a non worker.Its a crapshoot.

Probably a baked power supply. There are a bunch of fuses too.

I would agree that $100-$150 for a non working one is tops.

Rob

The SX-1010 is a great receiver and worthy of repair if in nice condition. I bought a non-working 1010 on the cheap at an estate sale. I spend about $200 having it repaired. The power module tends to get cooked on these as it is underneath and traps the heat. After having it repaired, I elevated the receive to let more air flow under it. I use my 1010 daily in the living room for music and it has been a reliable rock star performer for the past two years. It sounds great and when needed easily drives my klipsch to levels that hurt.

Hmmmm... you are all making me think about that 1010! Maybe the thing to do is to contact the seller and ask if he would take $100. If he says, no, easy to pass on that one.

Just paid $275 for a minty one this weekend that, as far as I can tell, is in perfect working condition. Well, at least it was after I gave the push buttons a good drink of Deoxit.

It's enormous. I've never owned a receiver that put out anywhere close to 110 WPC, so it's sheer size really surprised me. Its construction feels absolutely rock-solid. The knobs and switches all have very satisfying action to them.

The push buttons actually feel really good and responsive 40+ years on. They are known to oxidize, and definitely had when I first brought it home. I was getting no sound from one or both channels using a few inputs, and quickly traced this back to the push-buttons. Again, this was as easy a fix as squirting a bit of Deoxit on the backside of the buttons and working them for a few minutes. Now they all switch perfectly without any noise.

So far I've only had the chance to listen to the FM tuner, but it sounds amazing. It's so cool to finally hear my ADS L420 speakers sing to their full potential. Can't wait to get my TT set up.

Really nice looking receiver. The push buttons and black tuner face keep it from being drop-dead gorgeous by my taste, but it definitely looks great. I'm sure there are folks for whom this would be a perfect 10.

Love it!

Back
Top Bottom