Pioneer SX-1050 brought up from the depths...

I'm not sure I'll be doing many more of these big receiver restorations. I'm currently 10 hours into it, and nowhere near finished. If I were to put an hourly rate on my time, I would probably only be getting $10 an hour.

Lee.
Yeah its a tough one, I charge a flat fee, most people fall over at the price in the beginning, but its a very good deal when you look at it long term, I think it took me three very full days (10-12hrs) to do the SX1980...the owner was really happy because he knew it was completely done, good to go for another 20 years....But then he saw $$ signs in his eyes and sold it!!

Last edited:
Protection board looks pretty gross, whether the camera flash is on or not. I cleaned up the board with acetone after removing the old components, and before fitting the new ones.

Before.

Pioneer SX-1050 21.jpg

Pioneer SX-1050 22.jpg

After.

Pioneer SX-1050 23.jpg

Pioneer SX-1050 24.jpg

Mouser didn't have the MJ21193/21194 outputs in stock when I started this project, but now they do. :banana:Order pending...

Lee.

Mouser didn't have the MJ21193/21194 outputs in stock when I started this project, but now they do. :banana:Order pending...

Lee.

The other trick you can try when that happens is search the old Motorola number, because OnSemi do still print that old number on those devices as well as their new number.
MJ15024G and MJ15025G....I have about 50 of each in stock with that part number, easier for me to remember what one is the PNP and NPN. Familiarity.
https://nz.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=MJ15025G

Tuner board before and after. I didn't want to go too crazy cleaning on here, on account of all the trimmers and ferrite cores on here.

Pioneer SX-1050 25.jpg Pioneer SX-1050 26.jpg

Don't ask me why these pictures are rotated and don't display as I took them.

I had to make up brackets for the power supply board, I used some chassis pieces from a NAD 3020 amp, cut and shaped with a Dremel. They might not be pretty, but they work.

Pioneer SX-1050 28.jpg

Pioneer SX-1050 27.jpg

Looking good! :banana:

Everything South of the pre/power amp jumpers is working fine. I just have the power amp to do now, and some cleaning and tidying up.

Pioneer SX-1050 29.jpg

Power amp board before...

Pioneer SX-1050 30.jpg

And after. I realized I didn't order the trimmers for this, so it's going to be another Mouser order, this will make it the third one for this project.

Pioneer SX-1050 31.jpg

Lee.

Better check your stash. Your wife may be cleaning you out. LOL

She bought my 1250 for me, AND accompanied me to Ohio to get it from Mattsd after the resto, tho anything is possible, haha.

Women and cats are going to do as they please, and men should get used to the idea, I once read.

New power supply caps versus old. I've spoken to several people, both here on AK and elsewhere, that are like "I don't bother changing those big caps, they always test OK". Not me. In my opinion, if you're going to do the job, do it properly.

pioneer-sx-1050-32.jpg

Power amp outputs, it looks like a couple have been replaced sometime in the past.

pioneer-sx-1050-33.jpg

You may want to replace the mute relay on the FM board. They are prone to failing
In another thread the tuner expert PunkerX said that he has reeds from Digikey that he uses to replace the tired reeds in the original Hitachi part.

I agree changing the old BIG ecaps is a good idea. I did a 1250 recently and the originals were leaking and out of spec. the price is right for those U36D parts.

Good job BTW

cheers
rick

As i'm restoring a trashed sa9900 i'm wondering on those wirewraps.

Are you using anything to replace those wirewraps you cut or are you hard wiring or cleaning the pins and soldering direct to them.

Thanks

Chris

As i'm restoring a trashed sa9900 i'm wondering on those wirewraps.

Are you using anything to replace those wirewraps you cut or are you hard wiring or cleaning the pins and soldering direct to them.

Cleaning the pins, wrapping the wires around, and soldering.

I'm not sure why, but somebody painted the heatsink in the past, I can't imagine Pioneer did this from the factory. 10 out of 10 for style, but 1 out of 10 because the areas where the output transistors were also painted, cutting down on the heat transfer. I removed this paint with a chisel type Xacto knife blade, and copious quantities of acetone...(hic!)

pioneer-sx-1050-34.jpg

New trimmers installed...

pioneer-sx-1050-35.jpg

Power amp board mounted on the heatsink...

pioneer-sx-1050-36.jpg

New OnSemi outputs, fresh heat transfer grease...

pioneer-sx-1050-37.jpg

Back
Top Bottom