Pioneer SX-1050 brought up from the depths...

Just a little recommendation when and if you do another one, or even to finalize this fine one, ditch the ceramic caps, especially in the PS section. Use PP orange drops or WIMA MKP's. Ceramics are microphonic and very poor performers, and they introduce odd order harmonics. in light of the choices we have today, it makes no sense to use any ceramics.

Boy, that is pretty work, leesonic!

I had a restoration on my 99x Sansui. I was crestfallen when the big cans were left untouched. Tech, whom I trust, said they tested fine, but dammit......I wanted them 30 year old caps replaced.

in light of the choices we have today, it makes no sense to use any ceramics.
I am going to have to disagree about advise to change or not using ceramic caps as a general statement. I agree the older ceramic plate caps are going obsolete but modern day MLCC caps are fine if used correctly and you choose the correct dielectrics for the application.

Nice work leesonic. I agree to change the big ecaps as well, the new Nichicon are a bargain price.

I am going to have to disagree about advise to change or not using ceramic caps as a general statement. I agree the older ceramic plate caps are going obsolete but modern day MLCC caps are fine if used correctly and you choose the correct dielectrics for the application.

Nice work leesonic. I agree to change the big ecaps as well, the new Nichicon are a bargain price.
While I do agree there are still some applications for decoupling in a surface mount configuration, that isn't what we are talking about, and for the reasons stated (microphonics and odd order harmonics) it isn't a good choice in the application used. They were cheap, however, their performance is lousy in light of PP for the purposes utilized, both in the PS and in the audio path.

Last edited:
I cannot thank Leesonic enough for the work here. This thing was really in piss poor shape. I think it was bad enough he was second guessing whether to even put the effort into it. My first silver face piece and love it. Just need a new wooden case and it will be a lot more presentable.

I cannot thank Leesonic enough for the work here. This thing was really in piss poor shape. I think it was bad enough he was second guessing whether to even put the effort into it. My first silver face piece and love it. Just need a new wooden case and it will be a lot more presentable.

You're very welcome. I did see a new (re-manufactured) cover on eBay, you could set up an alert. Or see if @sawdust is still making them.

Lee.

You're very welcome. I did see a new (re-manufactured) cover on eBay, you could set up an alert. Or see if @sawdust is still making them.

Lee.

I put my name on the list with him once you started on it. Unfortunately I saw a post the other day stating he had a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom