Pioneer SX-1050 bulbs

Duke

Hello all,

Just rec'd a virgin SX-1050, and after spending 5 hours - it cleaned up real, real nice - sounds terrific . . .

But there are a few bulbs out. Currently is uses (4) Stanley 8V034 integrated bulb/socket bulbs to iluminate the front of the receiver, and (2) of these are out, it appears 8 Volt bulbs are hard to find, what problems do I create if I use a 12 volt bulb/socket in it's place?

Also looking for (1) "Speaker A" bulb for the SX-1050 (can't seem to figure out how to remove it, but it is out).

In advance, thanks!

:scratch2:

Hey duke, how tough is it to open up the fron tto get to the bulbs. I just cleaned up my 1050 and didnt even bother (dont have lamps right now, either). Could you possibly post a pic from "behind the face?"

I am in need of a "Speaker A" and "AUX" bulb, but wil probably just replace 'em all at once.

Oh, and are these "plug 'n play" or is soldering required?

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, but when you lift the wood off there is a plexi "guard" thing? I did not have direct access to the bulbs. I'll take a pic when I get home. I just cant exactly remember at the moment.

Reply to mg196

On the SX-1050, it real easy to take the cover(s) and front panel off of it, and cleaning the pots, and otherwise is also easy, just take your time, and be gentle in there.

Relative to the front panel lights, there are (4) Stanley 8V.03A bulbs/sockets that simply screw in and out of their holder.

The other indicator lamps are easy to see, but I have yet to figure out how?

Here's a pic to help ya . . . as you can see, 2 of the Stanley 8V.03A bulb/sockets have been removed, very easy to twist off.

The real ? are the Stanley 8V.03A bulbs detachable from the socket, or are they one whole piece?

you pull the bulbs out of the socket. The plexiglass is called a light diffuser, it does not have to be removed to change the panel lights.

Duke said:
The other indicator lamps are easy to see, but I have yet to figure out how?

When you do, lemme know, too! I am not gonna open mine up until I have all the info I need in front of me!

The indicator bulbs push up into bottom of the rubber-like shroud. Really need to loosen the metal plate that holds the panel lights to get to them. Still, pretty easy job.

VintageNut,

Thanks, now I see what you are speaking of.

Do these indicator bulbs just easily pull out from its gromet?

Sx-950

I'm having the same problem with my SX-950. I just ordered some dial light bulbs from AK'er dgwojo to replace the "Stanley" 8V 0.3mA bulbs that were burned out. Actually, only two of the four were burned out but I'm changing all four of them. The speaker A and FM function/indicator lamps are burned out too so I ordered those from dgwojo too. He recommended the 8V 250mA bulbs for the dial lights and the 8V 40mA, 3mm sleeved to 4mm lamps for the function/indicator lamps. The function lamps are definitely trickier to replace than the dial lamps. I haven't decided whether or not to I'm going to change those or not. They're not very easy to get at. As VintageNut said you have to remove the metal plate that holds the panel lights which isn't a big deal, but I couldn't figure out how the lamps come out of the rubber shroud that holds them in place. Plus, all the wires for the function lamps coming from the board underneath also have thick black metal ties wrapped around the wires twice which just complicates things. Maybe it just seems tricky to me since I'm new to replacing lamps. Anyone have any tricks for changing the function lamps?

http://home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html

Forgot to mention in my previous post there is a link to dgwojo's website with good information on bulb/lamp replacements.

mea2112 & Vintage Nut,

Thx for your replies, I am chatting with AK'er dgwojo relative to the lamps.

VintageNut, to remove the lamps from the Speaker A & function lights sounds simple enough, I'll give a shot.

Relative to the "Speaker A" light - How how hard to I have pull the wire/lamp to get it to come out of the gromet? I am trying to be more sensative and gentle in my years . . .

Pioneer SX-1050 restoration in process

For those following this post - Thought you might enjoy a few pics of before, and during the restoration process, as you can see, looks like the original owner was growing dust and hair inside the 1050. I have several days left, but looking real nice.

After several hours, she cleans up pretty good, and amazing got er all going, and the DC offset were less than 2.0 MV on both channels after 30 years- as they say 'don't make em like they use to . . .

Just gotta love these monsters . . . and I am quite pleased with the sound quality, the tuner section is terrific, now once I get er fixed up, the ? is how will it compare to my Sansui 9090DB's - both in perfect restored condition . . .

:thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Looks great Duke!! Gotta wonder where the people you got it from kept it. The main thing is it's in good hands now! I was also wondering exactly how hard you have to pull on those function wires/lamps to get them out of the rubber grommet? It seems like the one's in my SX-950 are in there really tight and I'm afraid of pulling too hard and breaking them. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyone have a deformed rubber shroud from the heat? I have seen one like that. Might be better to go with a lesser wattage bulb.
The factory puts a spot of glue to hold the indicator lights in the shroud, really not necessary since the rubber shroud holds the bulb pretty tight anyway, just pull boys, I know you are used to thrusting, :naughty: so think backwards and pull.....

Last edited:
None of my shrouds look deformed in any way. Thanks for the advice VintageNut. I'll try thrusting, I mean pulling a little harder!

Back
Top Bottom