Pioneer SX 1050 cleaning

kitt1987

Hi all,

I just posted in another thread in that I just obtained a really nice SX 1050. There is a faint smoke smell in the wood casing, only if you get your nose close to it and let's face it I think you'd be hard pressed to find very many households back in the day that didn't have at least one smoker. What advice and methods would anyone have to clean the wood and touch it up so not only would the smell be gone but the wood would be protected and have a bit more of that "higher class" look?

Any help is always appreciated and I've attached a picture of the beast below.

Attachments

• 20170828_180942.jpg
    20170828_180942.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to AK! That SX-1050 is a beauty, I have one I bought new in the late '70s You will love it!

Remove the cover,

Found this on the web to remove smoker smell from wood furniture
:
Mix 1/2 cup vinegar with 2 cups water, spray lightly on cover, them wipe dry.
Repeat if needed.

You might put some furniture polish or wax on it after it is clean.

Many of the Pioneer cases are actually wood-grain vinyl rather than veneer or solid wood.

If you need to clean the interior there are multiple threads on that subject here on AK, with various options :)

merlyn

Thanks Merlyn, I've seen a couple methods after researching online. One involved just spreading dry baking soda across the wood and letting it sit (and hopefully extract the odor) for a day or so. Other than the slight odor it is in fantastic shape.

Just wipe it clean with isopropyl alcohol. It cuts cigarette tar fairly easily. Then attend to the finish as you would any decent chunk of wood you want to refresh.

Back
Top Bottom