Pioneer SX-1050: What would you do?

VintageNut

OK, here's the deal. I got a pretty nice SX-1050 off of Ebay for 200.00 delivered. Extremely nice faceplate and knobs, wood OK, just a bit of light corrosion on the chassis underneath the top vent, 95% of the chassis is very clean. Plays real nice. Anyway, the AM antenna mount is broken, like many are, but to top it off, some idiot cut off the AM antenna entirely. It's gone. This was not mentioned in the ad, the seller apologized, said he did not know, and he perhaps he did not, since he's not an audio person. He's ignoring my emails about a small monetary compensation. I'm thinking negative feedback for this guy, but maybe I'm just steamed he has not answered my last emails. My girlfriend said I'm just mad, but thinks he deserves a neutral. Out of the 1300 transactions I have had on Ebay in 5 years, I have probably given out 5 negatives, so I'm not one to just give them out. Anyway, my gal and I talked about Ebay, and how people expect different things, so I said let's ask the boys in AK what they would do for feedback. He's at least getting a neutral from me. I don't have to worry about him dinging my feedback, he already gave me a positive.

caveat emptor ???

Can you use the threat of a negative as a bit of leverage to get some compensation?

On the other hand, if the auction was on an as-is basis, and the selller was reasonably forthcoming with information about the condition of the unit and provided a realistic description, perhaps your position has some weaknesses.

Did the auction include pics of the front and rear of the unit?

...just my 2 cents

Well, he said he had it tested, the AM still plays, but without an antenna, I get like 2 stations. Any shop that tested it would have, or should have, caught the missing AM antenna. No pics of the back.

His description:
"This is a Pioneer SX-1050 Vintage stereo reciever! I had it tested and the only issues are a little static when you push some of the filter buttons! It is in good shape has a few scratches on the face plate and really no major dents or scratches!! It was in storage for quite sometime and I really have no use for it here!! Good luck to all bidders!! "

Frankly, I dont believe he had it tested (by whom and for what?). FWIW, you cant really threaten Negative Feedback. I think ePay calls that Feedback Extortion, and it ain't allowed.

I think he should get a negative. Even a total novice knows if there is something broken from the unit. Be prepared to eat a Negative in return, but dont let it slide.

I was going to possibly agree with you about feedback extortion, but Ebay does allow you to threaten negative feedback if an item is not as described, which makes perfect sense.

from Ebay;
Not Feedback Extortion

“The item is already a day late, if it is not here by tomorrow I will leave you negative feedback.”
“If I don’t receive payment by tomorrow, I will leave negative feedback.”
“The item isn’t as described; if you don’t replace it I will leave you negative feedback

Last edited:
At least you got the unit! I didn't even get the freaking antenna! Quit bitchin' and find a replacement antenna. It will give you something to do. Don't give any feedback when in doubt.

that's enough out of you Gibson.... I'm leaving you double secret negative feedback right now, with your mama!......oh, and thanks for the SX-950 service manual, got it today.....I kinda know how you feel, my first SX-1050 last year was in totally mint shape, before the idiot shipped it. Arrived all bent up, still in therapy for that one.

Last edited:
I'd say give him a negative. Got nothing to lose. That should teach him a lesson.

Last edited:
I agree with HP: threaten negative feedback due to not living up to the claim shown in his advertising "It is in good shape...". It's not. It's missing a part that is vital to proper operation: a non-optional, factory-installed AM antenna. Set a firm deadline for a check in hand. No check by a certain date=negative feedback. How much? Cost of a replacement.

Just my two centavos.

Tom

Come On Now

162.00 dollars for a working 1050. . . . When a nice one would bring over 350-400. . . I say count your blessings and look for the parts you need to make it whole. . .

Only 2 pics in the auction. . . both are partial faceplate has to tell you something. . . be thankful that it works, get busy bringing this old girl back to her former glory. . . You have lots of room to work here. . .

I say you got what you paid for, not trying to be hostile but damn. . . I would be jumping up and down if that was my deal. I bought lots of them worse than this and after some elbow grease and a little time I still doubled and tripeled my money. . . .

My opinion? Tell the guy you're leaving a neutral, though tempted to leave a Neg since he won't answer emails, and look for an antenna.

I got a 1010 parts unit with an antenna...I think it might work, but the AM will likely need an alignment with a new antenna.

Edit: I'd also say that the only reason you are leaving a neutral instead of the Neg is because you believe he is too stupid to have known that the antenna is missing. :)

Last edited:
EchoWars said:
My opinion? Tell the guy you're leaving a neutral, though tempted to leave a Neg since he won't answer emails, and look for an antenna.

I got a 1010 parts unit with an antenna...I think it might work, but the AM will likely need an alignment with a new antenna.

The voice of reason. . . I agree with this. . .

thanks guys. I thought about it from both sides, just like you. It's a deal at the price, but, it was not as advertised either. I think neutral is the way to go. It's the ignoring of emails that bothers me most.

VintageNut said:
thanks guys. I thought about it from both sides, just like you. It's a deal at the price, but, it was not as advertised either. I think neutral is the way to go. It's the ignoring of emails that bothers me most.

Lets say he had described it perfectly, and shown better pictures - what would the sale price have been then? I'd leave a neutral, comment that the package arrived OK but was not fully described.

Hard to beat a $200 1250.

VintageNut,

I read the sellers description:

"This is a Pioneer SX-1050 Vintage stereo reciever! I had it tested and the only issues are a little static when you push some of the filter buttons! It is in good shape has a few scratches on the face plate and really no major dents or scratches!! It was in storage for quite sometime and I really have no use for it here!! Good luck to all bidders!! "

His description gives the impression that the ONLY thing wrong with is some static with afew scratches on the faceplate . .. . I think he was misleading regarding the antenna.

Did you pay via a Credit Card, cause you do have immediate recourse through them to at least reverse the charge in the meantime.

Relative the seller not returning your e-mail, that is just not called for and for that he should be punished . . .

How much are you asking for in concession from him, $10, $20 or more?

I have refrained from leaving negative feedback because the seller usually retaliates and it's not worth to get black eye (which is exactly what he did to another buyer with a similar complain as yours, see feedback). In some cases I also felt that it was my fault for not asking more questions, like if the lights worked (happened to me recently on a McIntosh 1700 and the lights are a pain to change). Beware of general descriptions like on this unit, notice how he didn't show a picture of the back. I would file a complaint with ebay and try to get some satisfaction that way, or just count my blessings that it is not a total loss and move on.

What I do in cases like this is explain the situation, and that you bought the item in good faith and that this damage should have been included in the description. Estimate what it would cost "YOU" to repair and offer a compromise. Depending on his response, you could then decide what to do. If he turns out to be a jerk, you take it up with PayPal. They will decide if the item fails to measure up to the ad and take a refund from him and give it to you, or you could let him know you have that ability and let him off, in the name of..............(fill inthe blank).

My experience has been that, if you treat a man as a man, and give him the opportunity to be one, he will take advantage of the opportunity. Even normally unreasonable folks have met me half-way. On the other hand if the only options you give him are to be a simpering wimp or a jerk, he will choose jerk EVERY time.

The rule of thumb: equity is as far as you can righteously go, and not one step farther.

Patience in such transactions, with good manners, provides the greatest opportunity for acceptable outcomes, on both sides--no guarantees, just maximized potential.

That is a decent price for a 1050, even one with a missing antenna. Ask yourself: "What would I normally/knowingly be willing to pay for an SX-1050 that is excellent except for a missing antenna?"

Up to now, I have not left any negatives, when maybe some were warranted. You need to decide if others need to be warned off of this seller. If so, you have a responsibility to warn them. If you think that the loss is only yours and not an attempt to rip folks off or misrepresent products in general, then a negative could wind up being only vengence, and not very effective vengence at that.

I guess that is more than 2 cents will buy these days. I'll shut up now.

Rich P

I figured it would not be 100% true to the description, and bid accordingly, but for 200.00, I'm still happy. We all like the better auctions with 50 pics, and you pay more for those. Believe me, after buying and selling in over 1200 transactions in 5 years, I'm very diplomatic, it maintains my 99.9% feedback. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom