Pioneer SX-1080 sound

Yamahaha

Recently brought a Pioneer SX-1080 home. I am having a love/hate with this one. I turn to you AK folk to help me out with what this should sound like.

My problem is there is a bit of brightness. That or its muting mids. Typically mid heavy music like metal is sounding pulled back in the mid heavy guitar tones yet the kick drums and cymbals and slightly louder than my other amps. While I appreciate the full range of sound and the massive umpf in the low end I wonder if its sacrificing mids. In one of my standard test records "Rumours" (don't care for the album much but its a great production) I am hearing tight bass and huge kick drum. But the highs are kind of digital harsh to my ears and again - the mids perhaps getting lost.

The previous owner I have dealt with before and he had the unit serviced. The power supply board was rebuilt. I don't believe anything else was changed though.

Certainly there are some Pioneer fans out there who can help me determine if this is simply the SX-1080 character????? I am hearing much heavier lows, piercing highs and perhaps buried mids.

My ears are used to my Yamaha A-S700 which is a wonderful amp. Two totally different beasts. Changing back to the Yamaha sounds a little "warm".

Last edited:
You got it right.

The Yamaha has you accostomed to a particular sound, deep bottom end(maybe a little soft on the punch), silky smooth mids and a top end that is flat if not a touch soft.

The Pioneer "sound" has a bit more punch at the sacrifice of depth, in your face mids and bright highs. A little more boom/crash/bang, if you will. Not a bad unit, but not everybody's taste either.

I'm sure to get flamed for my opinions, but that's how it sounds to my ears.

Ditto, My SX-D7000 sounds a lot like that. It took me awhile to adjust to it, but now I good with it

You got it right.

The Yamaha has you accostomed to a particular sound, deep bottom end(maybe a little soft on the punch), silky smooth mids and a top end that is flat if not a touch soft.

The Pioneer "sound" has a bit more punch at the sacrifice of depth, in your face mids and bright highs. A little more boom/crash/bang, if you will. Not a bad unit, but not everybody's taste either.

I'm sure to get flamed for my opinions, but that's how it sounds to my ears.

Yup, pretty much. I love my Yamaha. Its flaws are at times its perhaps "polite". But I can hear instruments separated very well. The SX-1080 is not at all polite and there are moments I marvel at the ringing low piano notes for instance then cringe at what seems to be mushed yet brittle mids. Almost distorted but I know it was serviced, idle set and checked by a pro. Guess that's just how this animal is?

WMGWizard has it right. I gifted a 1080 to my son and a 980 to a friend. Just not quite my cup of tee. Neither of the units were recapped. It may be that a recap of the tone board may improve things. I have or have had several of the x5x series and they are my preferred Pioneers.

A friend of mine once described it like this:

With the Yamaha the music just flows into the room, immersing you in sound, the Pioneer grabs you by the scruff of the neck and makes you listen.

There is more than one flavor of ice cream for a reason, something for everybody.

^
So that's why just about every Pioneer unit I use to find didn't work. They were always getting in fights? :boxing:

Any of the Pioneer SX-xx80 units always sounded bright to me. As well as the SPEC gear.

With that said the Pioneer SX-1050 is one of the best receivers I've ever heard. A lot more laid back, detailed but not bright. Not sure what they did different but they hit the sweet spot with that one IMO

Any of the Pioneer SX-xx80 units always sounded bright to me. As well as the SPEC gear.

With that said the Pioneer SX-1050 is one of the best receivers I've ever heard. A lot more laid back, detailed but not bright. Not sure what they did different but they hit the sweet spot with that one IMO
+1 on that....Have a SX-1050 and SX-1250 (starting a recap)...xx50 get's my vote.

To its credit it seems to do best with tape. I have heard the X50 series is smoother and better sounding many times. Guess there is a reason. Although there is one tech in particular that sings the praises of the X80's. Maybe he's lost his high end hearing.

I'd say recap the tone section with Elna similc. You'll have that smoother pioneer response. They do take more than a few hours to settle in but they should do the trick.

Ditto on what ROCK081 said. I have both an SX-1050, and an SX-1080. I much prefer the sound of the 1050. Don't know if you guys are using the tone controls, or are listening with tone switched out, but, IMHO I think the 1050 has better tone controls.

I have all of the 50's and all the 80's except the 1980 and to me the 50's sound better no matter the size. I also have a yammi cr840 and still prefer the pioneer, the 80's do look a little better with the meters though...Roost

Back
Top Bottom