Pioneer SX-1250 Restoration cost?

FWIW, two of these are lurking in my home. 10 months to get this last one rebuilt. EchoWars was consulted but after getting a freight quote, I decided to haul it to Dripping Springs last June where Circle StereO (Bill Green) did the rebuild. Looks great and sounds as I recall from the mid 70's.
My Audiokarma history has been lost, not sure why but never the less it's gone. PC
Bill Green did one for me also and did a great job. It wasn't cheap nor was the shipping but I love his work and communication skills.

All done! The unit was in worse shape than anticipated so there was more work/time than originally planned, and the cost overran accordingly. Came in at an even $1000. Whatever. What's done is done. Here's the full list of work/upgrades completed:

Cleaned/polished inside and out
Boards resoldered/flux removal
New indicator lamps
New fuses
89 caps replaced on power supply, protection circuit, and phono stage
4 filter caps replaced with United Chemi-Cons
14 transistors replaced on phono
12 transistors replaced on preamp
12 tantalum caps replaced with electrolytics on preamp and phono
6 film caps on power supply replaced with Mylar type
6 rectifier diodes on power supply replaced
Amp's driver and pre-driver transistors replaced
Amp's differential stage transistors replaced
8 output transistors tested, failed, and replaced
Heat sinks cleaned and shot with black enamel
Speaker relay replaced
Power supply transistors replaced and new grease
Protection circuit transistors replaced
PS voltages adjusted to 65VDC
Idle current and DC offsets calibrated
FM/AM tuning capacitor cleaned
FM section peaked and aligned

Unit looks and sounds like it came from the factory. Insanely beautiful piece of audio equipment. I've attached a couple photos here, and you'll see that the servicing tech made a nice parts board (minus the filter caps). Think I might frame it. I also need to snap some nuddies.

Overall I'm very pleased. Yeah, it was more cost than I bargained for, but it was a timely restoration job that was completed with care and attention.

Outstanding, congratulations! Do you hear a noticeable difference in the SQ after the recap?

Yup.
And the fact I thought I recognized your avatar there for a moment.
I’m glad you are happy with the work . He doesn’t want them coming back with an issue which is why he swings for the fences when fixing them . After awhile you forget the cost knowing it’s done for good . My 2 1010s were nearly that much . :)
I wish I had a 1250.

Last edited:
Yup.
And the fact I thought I recognized your avatar there for a moment.
I’m glad you are happy with the work . He doesn’t want them coming back with an issue which is why he swings for the fences when fixing them . After awhile you forget the cost knowing it’s done for good . My 2 1010s were nearly that much . :)
I wish I had a 1250.
That's right! I remember. Thank you for the recommendation - it's still going strong and I usually run it several hours per day.

Back
Top Bottom