Pioneer SX-1250 restoration project - does have some issues too

Nice work, I'm happy for you...now I need to put mine back together...........

It's about time you changed from junior audio repairman to audio repairman Matt...it's long overdue.

Oh baby, that's gotta feel good. Great motivation for seeing it through to completion and reaping the full reward.

Post some pics when you have a final product! Good job sticking to this long-term project. I sure hope you enjoy the sound :)

Project NOT Dead!

I never posted pictures (to my knowledge) of a few new to me cosmetic pieces for the 1250, I shall do so now, especially since I got a nice custom wood case from AK member Sawdust.

So parts here, that make the biggest cosmetic differences, are:

1.) Wood Case with the wood for the side mount of the face.
2.) Face with glass, scratches on top, but it's a lot nicer than the old one, so I'm happy!
3.) Tuner dial scale/function lamp/tuner meter piece that fits behind the glass.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

External Cosmetics left: Mainly consist of knobs and the silver pieces for a couple of switches (Forgot what they are called), Tuner scale needle, repainting of the other heatsink, a foot, bracket for the AM antenna pole in the rear, and replacing some burned out bulbs.

Internal Cosmetics: I need to clean up the darn surface rust still, I hear there is some sort of jelly that could handle this, in place of a dremel tool? (I used a Dremel on it with a wire wheel, ugh, never again will I do THAT in a carpeted bedroom... :sigh: )

I still have a bit of re-capping to do, one of the amp boards, tuner (I fear having to even TOUCH the tuner), protection circuit board, tone control board, and boards around that.

Does anyone know what I'd need to do, for updating the function lamps, speaker lamps, and stereo lamp to LED on these 1250s? I figure if I am changing this much of it, I might as well, since some are burned out anyway.

I am pretty excited that I did manage to get this bad boy to run under it's own power, which makes me feel good to go forward in this project. Taking a rough, beat up, 1250, and getting it looking pretty decent and working. :thmbsp:

Naval jelly will destroy the zinc dichromate coating on the chassis...the result being rather ugly. Unless you are willing to strip the unit down to the bare chassis and have it replated, hit the bad rust spots with the wire-wheel and paint the chassis with a paintbrush wetted with WD-40 and call it good.

Naval jelly will destroy the zinc dichromate coating on the chassis...the result being rather ugly. Unless you are willing to strip the unit down to the bare chassis and have it replated, hit the bad rust spots with the wire-wheel and paint the chassis with a paintbrush wetted with WD-40 and call it good.

Oh yeah, I remember you saying that a while back, now, about it destroying the coating, Thank You for the reminder!

Yeah, I'll do that, just this time, somewhere the little wires from the wire-wheel won't get in the carpet... boy did I regret that. lol

Back
Top Bottom