1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SX-1250 Restore - Some Heat Q's

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by ivandezande, Oct 5, 2018.

1. ivandezande

ivandezande Super Member

Just went through an abused but working 1250 (a crappy DJ owned it for several years way back) and I replaced all caps many transistors and a few zeners, but now I wondering about heat. The heatsink on the stabilizer board gets very toasty quickly, and the resistors above the main diode bridges do as well. Is this something I should be worried about and try to remedy?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

I would rebuild the entire stabiliser board.
    There is a list somewhere here for that.
    The nature and design of the stabiliser board means there is a lot of heat produced as a result of the regulation.

3. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

You replaced the bjts and ecaps already in the PS, the heat is not going to go away, all you can do is to minimize component op temps, like adding more/bigger heatsinks to the series pass bjts regs to lower their Tj which improves reliability.
    You could go nuts and replace everything as Kev suggests for a piece of mind & improved long term reliability, predicting when a film or ceramic cap will fail is in the lottery dept.

4. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

One of the hotter devices on the stabilizer board, and a potential way to help cool it:

[​IMG]

Rico126, ivandezande and merlynski like this.
  5. kevzep

I put extra heat sink-ing there too.
    Not quite as extreme though, but it definitely helps...
    IMG_6598.JPG

Rico126 and Watthour like this.
  6. petervv

petervv Active Member

And my implementation :) :

IMG_0065.JPG

Rico126, Watthour and Imanoldee like this.

7. Rico126

Rico126 Active Member

All 3 are pretty good ideas

8. kevzep

Which is what caught me out on that 1250 I was working on......
    So really, everything is becoming suspect these days, I used to rule out ceramic caps, but I have found a few shorted and intermittent ceramics lately...so this is now part of my failure mode when looking at problems in circuits..

9. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

everything is suspect but as for failing, only time will tell. :)
    Basically fix them as they fail.
    Even new components fail, the bath tub curve on comp reliability.
    I once worked at a HP lab, had a EE who's sole job was component reliability analysis and regulatory certification. We hand him our design BOM's, he'd have to okay every comp, assess risks, come up with reliability numbers. Top of the list was moving parts, ecaps :) were forced to use kemet fused tantalums, just in case of a assembly reversal and possible fire.
    finding caps failing anywhere can be a challenge esp if they fail open or way out of spec. RF sections are a PITA to fix

Ricktptman and kevzep like this.
  10. WE6C

WE6C Well-Known Member

When I did mine I also added a small heat sink to it however I bought it new back in 1976 and never had a problem with it. I went thru it in 2016 so no problems in 40 years with regular use! The heat must not have hurt anything but it gave me a little piece of mind with an additional heat sink. FWIW.

An infa-red heat gun is a good tool to own.

Bob

11. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

IR heat guns are great tools to own, cheaper thermocouples but not as accurate
    rule of thumb every 10C rise in Tj reduce the life by 1/2