Pioneer SX-1250 vs Sansui 9090

Nothing like an old Ford vs. Chevy thread to get the interest up, eh?

I'm not a big receiver fan--the only one I ever owned was a Marantz 2330, which I sold a few years ago. And, I am very partial to Sansui separates. Having said that, I do like the Pioneer SPEC series pieces, and have a SPEC-1 which I sometimes use to drive my Sansui BA-5000.

The sound of both brands, at least with their TOTL units, was very impressive. I guess I prefer the Sansui, but it is really a matter of personal taste. As for build quality, both brands, at least in the units I own, are first rate. The Sansui amps have huge toroidal transformers, and very large filter caps.

As others have said, if you like the looks of one, or the sound of one, more than the other, go for it. At the high end, both brands represent high quality and effortless performance.

thesepostsarenearlyimpossibletoread. :D

Its just what I have come to prefer.yes it may not have the more complex and newer phono stage(marantz got it right,.. simple?its how it is designed,net results), but its all about what does it REALLY sound like, not what it "reads"like.You are also comparing an amp that is very scarce, and expensive.with that cost, i can easily put together a piece that will be better .like I said, l have other gear, come and gone.nothing has that overal , fat , thick, smooth, ear pleasing sound, IN THE SAME arena as far as vintage status,, resale cost,rms power,. I have other Marantz gear.i recently heard the Pioneer SPEC combo, a highly regarged pre and p.amp..just sold my sa 9500 mk.2.was not getting used..its just the "nothing special" 1150d sounds superior. ? It cannot compete with bigger power, but sure has enough.Not bright, silky smooth, great defined bass.Maybe because it
has a much better damping rate than the Sansui's(I do believe that is very important). I was expecting a lot more.i think the late 60s,very early 70s sansui, to me sound superb.i preferred my old SX.838..it also has do with what speakers you listen to . And as far as build quality between the makes?.ask a REAL VINTAGE TECH ON WHAT HE THINKS, someone who works on this gear, everyday..those big Marantz DC series intregated(not the PM) sound fine, to my ear, a little bright..they are excellent..hey, other Marantz guys ive chatted with, they get it. Have you not come upon gear that, that surprised you, or really let you down?like finding an old empire rm50 cart, thinking it cheap, and being blown away.i have heard mega buck systems, where i had to bite my lip, and lie, not to offend.Well, today I get to view,of all things ,an sx1250, and 3 way
Speakerlabs that a friend has, we did not know that we shared the hobby..should be a treat.

If there is enough interest, I might re-design some select pcb's in the 1250 to upgrade its performance, assuming that someone thinks that they need improvement on what Pioneer has done.
For example, improve the phono section, have both MC & MM cartridge capability, it does have 2 phono inputs. Take an existing phono design, like in the Sansui AU-X1, sx-1980, Marantz 1300DC and re-layout to fit in the same form factor as the sx-1250, using modern available parts.
I have lots of ideas and since I am retired, winter is on its way again I am am open to ideas.

I just got back my 1250 from Mattsd a few months ago, and tho my poor piece was beat to chit, he made it sound lovely. Full restoration. Power in buckets, warm and smooth. I think your phono idea is brilliant! Do it.

I have both and like the Pioneer's. The 1250 is a benchmark!

Hell if it ain't, zeb. Right on. I also have an Echowars restored 9090db. Sweet machine as well. A little "shinier" a little tighter, but no less impressive. Love them both.

Then there is my SX-1010. Another jem. Restored by some hack around these parts. :scratch2::D

That is great, you got both your receiver going and enjoying them.
I think your phono idea is brilliant! Do it.
If there is enough interest I'd consider doing it, but somehow I think that most 1250 owners are happy enough with what is original.

Hi, knowing that this post is some old but just a quick question, $900 for the sx will be a good price? They said that some of the inportan caps are being replaced by a competent technician. And yes i know about money and sence, but i just dont wanna make another tread just for a simple question! Thanks

"important caps" and "competent technician" are extremely ambiguous, and a competent Technician should replace almost all of the caps, many of the transistors, diodes, and a few resistors need to be checked and/or replaced.

$900 isn't bad for a nice SX-1250, but much more detail is necessary to determine whether this is a great deal or a big risk.

Bare minimum?
The 1250's reliability will increase ten fold with a Deoxit treatment and the stabilizer rebuild. Repaste or high quality Sills for the heatsink transistors.
Some other thoughts:
The EQ and Flat Amp has some 2SA725 and 726 transistors that can become troublesome.
Rebuilding the EQ if you like the LP's is a must.
Other than that, it's one of the finest, powerful, all-a-round receivers to own.
Thread hijack? Not really. This topic has been discussed many times.

Last edited:
Hi, knowing that this post is some old but just a quick question, $900 for the sx will be a good price? They said that some of the inportan caps are being replaced by a competent technician. And yes i know about money and sence, but i just dont wanna make another tread just for a simple question! Thanks
There is one near me for $900 that is said to have 50+ caps replaced. Cosmetic condition plays a big role, but I think $900 is a very good price. Another SX-1250 near me sold for $1500. It was in mint condition with all oriiginal paperwork included, but no restoration work had been done. I don't think you can lose on this deal.

It is definitely bragging rights to own a 1250 but truthfully, imo your $ could be better spent on probably better or equiv for less. totl separates usually outperform a totl rx. this particular model, SX-1250 has an inflated price and those silver plated contact switches are troublesome/intermittant sometimes even after a deoxit treatment.

Well just thought I'd chime in even though this thread has gone into the direction of the 1250. I sold my 9090db last month in a moment of financial crisis. Then about a week ago I traded for a freshly rebuilt one. What can I say? After trying many other ss combinations the synergy the Sansui has with my speakers would be extremely difficult to beat. Smooth, clear, effortless, you name it. Now onto tubes for the cool months...

I've had both, each was restored to the degree and loved them. Definitely different beasts when driving the same speakers. Own both :dunno:
The power goes to the 1250. The one thing my buddy's can agree on is the Pioneer can pick'em up and lay it down all day. It keeps driving. You can feel it. Duel PS as apposed to a single? Maybe.
The Sansui has it in the finesse department. Seems to have a more detailed sound.

Looked over the 9090(DB) schematic again, to re-fresh my memory, uses a lot of old Rohm BA312 amplifiers, looked at the specs, well what can I say = mediocre, I would prefer it a NE5534 opamp. It was not till the 80's that the Japanese figured out the value of a NE5534, I think Sanasui used them in a few AU-xxxx models, I used them in my second pre-amp design,1980. I thought that the NE5534 design was of better sound quality to the SX-950 pre-amp section.

I wish I could understand why or what in the 1150d design makes you think this?

@bossmustang = lucky guy, I would grab the sx-1250 in a minute, it is one of the classics that any audio nut would love to have, including me. Maybe one day, in the mean time, I have taken a different route, acquired a couple of sx-1250 transformers to roll my own and to experiment with.

If there is enough interest, I might re-design some select pcb's in the 1250 to upgrade its performance, assuming that someone thinks that they need improvement on what Pioneer has done.
For example, improve the phono section, have both MC & MM cartridge capability, it does have 2 phono inputs. Take an existing phono design, like in the Sansui AU-X1, sx-1980, Marantz 1300DC and re-layout to fit in the same form factor as the sx-1250, using modern available parts.
I have lots of ideas and since I am retired, winter is on its way again I am am open to ideas.

Hi RCS. First of all thank you your work on Pioneer. I used you design to fix my sx590.
Now i am dealing with Marantz 2275. It has some faulty BA312. How would you recommend to replace them with NE5534? Any pointers on how to design the replacement maybe?
thank you in advance

Hi, glad to hear about your sx-590 fix
I’d have to look at the data sheet again and the application. Need to determine what the op voltage the ba312 runs at. ne5532,4 can run as high as +/-18 might need to drop the voltage down. You can use a small v zener in series with the power leads. The package? Sip? Best I can do without further investigation

Im not big receivers fan, but I think 9900 and 1250 are at different levels, but when you will compare Pioneer and Sansui from the same level, sansui will be allways much better.
Just compare TOTL G-33000 versus SX-1980

Once my 1250 is up and running, I want to compare the two..since I have a 990 also..but first, I have to fix the "going into protection mode" on the 990. I just re-capped it about a year ago and here lately, after a few minutes of running, it goes red. Those resistors are getting warm and shorting out I think.

Back
Top Bottom