Pioneer SX-1250 vs. SX-1280

I love my SX-1980 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Had a 1250, had a 1280, both excellent, and both are gone...the 1980, which I had totally restored, is in use every day.

Man.... i have a fully restored 1250 that sounds incredible... however, there is a local guy that has a very nice 1980 that he is NOT selling.... but, i am way curious if it really makes sense to push and try to make a deal.... his 1980 has not been restored, but wondering exactly how much can I gain if I move to the 1980 (besides braging rights)... since you had both of them, can you compare the two?… cheers!

I'm more so thinking that it was because the 1980 was introduced that they just kept it as an extra feature on the top two units, 1280 and 1980.
Could have very well been the discussions about feature sets in the engineering meetings. The bottom line is they had cost targets to meet, so a decision had to be made what to keep and what not too.

Man.... i have a fully restored 1250 that sounds incredible... however, there is a local guy that has a very nice 1980 that he is NOT selling.... but, i am way curious if it really makes sense to push and try to make a deal.... his 1980 has not been restored, but wondering exactly how much can I gain if I move to the 1980 (besides braging rights)... since you had both of them, can you compare the two?… cheers!

If you love your 1250, and it’s working perfectly, I wouldn’t trade it. I found the sound once both units were restored to be very, very similar. So unless you just really want a 1980, which I totally understand of course, I would keep the 1250. It’s a superb receiver.

I own a sx1250 a 1280 and a 1980
The 1980 is louder yes looks good yes
The 1280 is louder yes looks as good as the 1280
But there’s only one thing I’m gonna tell you
The 1250 is cleaner it’s easier to work on and can be blasted with no problem but the 1980 and 1280 are rarer that’s why the have the significance 1250 sounds way better and is more phono friendly my 1280 and 1980s sit in boxes my 1250 get play I feel more comfortable with the sound it’s precise it’s a nicer built product way more warm cause at the time of its release it was the go to receiver over the marantz and the sansuis of its class. I love my 1250 and wouldn’t give it up for the world!

I own a sx1250 a 1280 and a 1980
The 1980 is louder yes looks good yes
The 1280 is louder yes looks as good as the 1280
But there’s only one thing I’m gonna tell you
The 1250 is cleaner it’s easier to work on and can be blasted with no problem but the 1980 and 1280 are rarer that’s why the have the significance 1250 sounds way better and is more phono friendly my 1280 and 1980s sit in boxes my 1250 get play I feel more comfortable with the sound it’s precise it’s a nicer built product way more warm cause at the time of its release it was the go to receiver over the marantz and the sansuis of its class. I love my 1250 and wouldn’t give it up for the world!

Exactly what I was thinking... having the 1250 it really does not make sense to switch.... from my vintage gear, this is my top receiver, play it everyday in my office with jbl4333A.... they are just made for each other!

Back
Top Bottom