Pioneer SX-1280 (Sound briefly quit)

Yeah, I saw that on their Canadian website, was onsale too...for $10cdn more than on the US site. Problem is, they're sold out in this town, and they're not offering it online.

DB;

On a analog meter if you are getting a negitive reading (downscale) one just reverses the meter leads and then reads the upscale value, remembering that it is a negitive not positive value. Most times one is measuring a point refrenced to ground and if a positive point is to be measured then one puts the black probe to ground and the red probe to the point to be measured. A negitive point would of course have the red test lead grounded.

In the case of measuring DC balance at the speaker terminals then of course either polarity is valid, it's the amount of voltage not it's polarity that is important in this measurement.

One of the main advantages of a DMM is that for voltage reading, it doesn't matter which polarity you have as the DMM will just display a - sign in front of the value. However that being said, one should know ahead of time what polarity and value one is expecting to obtain because the wrong polarity could be an indication of the problem being worked on. This of course is where having the schematic drawing and a understanding of electronic theory comes in.

Having a cheap DMM around the house is a very handy thing to have even if you don't plan on any heavy duty troubleshooting. Measuring the AC voltage at an outlet (be sure you understand test lead and range setup first) can save alot of time before blaming the peice of equipment. A telephone circuit should read around 48 VDC when all phones are hung up (onhook) and 6-8 VDC when off hook, and 100 VAC 20HZ when ringing. Checking fuses by measuring their resistance is alway better then trying to visually see if they are blown, especially the sub 1 amp sizes. The continuity buzzer is useful for that also as well as checking for wire connections.

Lefty

I guess I could use some feedback as to where to go from here.

As mentioned earlier, offset is clearly a problem especially in the right channel which reads at -348mV. Would this have kicked in protection that disengaged the output relay? Am I saying that right?

I am still curious as to why sound never cut when I had 8 ohm speakers hooked up but did on the first day a tried the 4 Ohm fellas.

I do have the schematics on this unit but not the service manual. Suggestions on where I might locate one. Preferably for quick download.

I should also mention the unit has appearantly never been opened and looks really dusty inside. Best cleaning suggestions?

I'm assuming I should avoid hooking this thing up to speakers (at least ones I care about) until I get this resolved.

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking on this.

And finally, should I relocate this post to DIY?

Last edited:
"I guess I could use some feedback as to where to go from here.

As mentioned earlier, offset is clearly a problem especially in the right channel which reads at -348mV. Would this have kicked in protection that disengaged the output relay? Am I saying that right? "

Could be. Either way it should be solved before moving on. Protection circuit looks at the speaker output and if it sees a DC value over a certain nonadjustable value it disenges the relay to keep from frying the speakers. .348 is high and indication of a problem. A troubleshooting assumtion that I have always used is I assume that the unit had worked at one time and that there is only one problem with it presently. This tends to keep me from chasing too many bunnies into the tall weeds (keeps me on track) and most of the time it is correct. Now with new homebuilt stuff all bets are off as many many errors are often present.

"I am still curious as to why sound never cut when I had 8 ohm speakers hooked up but did on the first day a tried the 4 Ohm fellas."

Mysteries of life. One learns to just continue the troublshooting hunt until it is solved. All will to clear in the end or won't matter anyway."

"I do have the schematics on this unit but not the service manual. Suggestions on where I might locate one. Preferably for quick download."

I wait patently and find bargin manuals on E-bay. Others will have to help you with this. Not many offer download copies if any.
You might be able to locate the DC balance adjustment on the schematic but the service manual will make it much easier. I recommend buying a service manual on anything you plan on keeping for awhile. Even if you elect to have a pro work on it they most likely won't have a manual and will have to order one and charge you plus mark-up. If you sell later, having the manual is an added selling feature.

"I should also mention the unit has appearantly never been opened and looks really dusty inside. Best cleaning suggestions?"

I use a shop vac set to blow and use a soft brush to help move all the crap out. Don't get too close with the air blast, start with a couple of feet away. Anyway works fast. Later if you want shiny clean then a small WD-40 soaked brush and rags works for me.

"I'm assuming I should avoid hooking this thing up to speakers (at least ones I care about) until I get this resolved. "

That is correct, the high DC unbalance on the left channel is an indication of something wrong and until it is solved you are relying on the protection circuit to keep your speakers alive and well. I picked up cheap thrift store speakers to use when checking out unknown gear. Think of them as cheap test gear.

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking on this.

"What, like we got a life or something? "

"And finally, should I relocate this post to DIY?"

No I think you are in the correct forum. The moderator would move it if he feels like it would get better coverage in another. DIY is for building new stuff and a bunch of wierd tube and homemade cable guys tend to hang there, hehehe

You might consider starting a new thread on your next questions as this one is getting kind of lenghy.

Lefty

Last edited:
When I had KimG's 1250, I was waaaayyy impressed with the Pioneer manual. Probably the best written service manual for a piece of audio gear I had ever seen.

Go get one.

Edit: Can't speel....;)

Last edited:
service manual

Having the service manual for my 1250 helped Echo pull my ass out of the fire. Got it off e-pay from stereomanuals.com. Good insurance for the long haul, never know when you'll need it!
Later................ Kim

Back
Top Bottom