Pioneer SX-1280?

Note sure why you are saying that, but ok... Not like I have my original post to go back too. I even stated what other gear I have and was wondering how they would pair in comparison in the long run given the current speakers I have. 185 watts seemed overkill. I'll move along.

Thank you fella's

Many times (most times?) more power is better, provided it is functioning properly and used wisely.

My house insurance is about to renew, how much is my almost pristine never molested XXXXMach12-1/2 worth for insurance values?
Insurance co. wants that info and they suggest I take pictures and write down the serial numbers of all my gear.

Many times (most times?) more power is better, provided it is functioning properly and used wisely.
My 50 wpc amp sound miles better than my 185 wpc amp. He has better sounding receivers if folks can believe a TOTL Tandberg will sound better than a Pio which many non-Pio lovers will accept.

It was the folks that added their opinions about value to his question about moving the Pio to get Mac that screwed the pooch on this one. First couple posts in the old thread followed the rules, no sales links and no value discussion. Then it broke down with the op coming in and saying he did NOT want value answers. Oh well it is done and maybe we can move on.

Maybe the mods can clean up the old thread, don't know if it still exists or not. But it would be easier to move on and either repost a better worded question about moving the 1280 or just sell it and post about that new Mac gear.

And then the OP went on to muse about selling and then began deliberating in an open thread. No one cares how much money you want to sell for. It's boring and self serving.

Agreed, I would rather see pictures of pretty blue meters. The SX-1280 becomes an interesting backstory, which is where it belongs.

My house insurance is about to renew, how much is my almost pristine never molested XXXXMach12-1/2 worth for insurance values?
Insurance co. wants that info and they suggest I take pictures and write down the serial numbers of all my gear.
If a chunk of gear comes in this house I get the serial number recorded. If you want to know about your quadXMachDozenpoint5, post it up, folks will tell you. Here on AK you will get prices from whatever the lowest price ever paid, usually free-25 bucks all the way up to the highest ebay asking price ever seen. Not really a good evaluation but folks posting in $&¢ seem to want to crow about the low price they paid, the low value they think a unit has or the highest price they have seen. Some might actually tell you what one would consider a fair value for your QXMD.5. Oh, I like that model number. So many different ways to write it.

Last edited:
If a chunk of gear comes in this house I get the serial number recorded. If you want to know about your quadXMachDozenpoint5, post it up, folks will tell you. Here on AK you will get prices from whatever the lowest price ever paid, usually free-25 bucks all the way up to the highest ebay asking price ever seen. Not really a good evaluation but folks posting in $&¢ seem to want to crow about the low price they paid, the low value they think a unit has or the highest price they have seen. Some might actually tell you want one would consider a fair value for your QXMD.5. Oh, I like that model number. So many different ways to write it.

It was merely an example of an allowable post asking about value with no hinting or outright mention about selling.
Names the article, gives its condition. And I could then do whatever I want with the answer...

Of course I've been here long enough to know "check ebay" will follow along shortly.:)

Offers to sell on AK are ONLY allowed to subscribers in the bartertown section of AK.
I believe your thread yesterday crossed the line into "Its worth this much and I really ought to sell" territory...

But i'm swamped at work and really don't have time to chase that older thread and get the exact triggers that cause the delete.

Also, infighting and angry posts between others in this thread have been deleted to keep civility positive.

Thanks and respected hjames, those of us who have moderated a popular BB/Forum know it's pretty thankless work and we sometimes have to make decisions to put out sparks rather than wait for the fire.

I think that the 1280 is well loved, if you love it keep it, if you don't then sell it. As much as many here will claim that vintage audio is a great investment, ... it's not. You make money on the buy, if you bought it cheap then there's profit but holding on to it will likely only yield a slow appreciation of its value and inflation adjusted they haven't historically done that well.

If you want to know value of the 1280 then most of us will watch sold prices on evilbay, be sure to compare restored with restored, documented original with documented original, provenance with provenance, just like a collector car. A nice survivor is worth more to people like me who don't want to get into someone else's quality of work and knowledge, but to others it is just a piece that needs to be restored.

Also note that values tend to cycle a bit, are a bit seasonal (winter/summer weather, Christmas/post-Christmas, etc.) and will typically peak in late December, some of the best buying season is starting to taper off (typically) in the fall. Prices now are a bit higher than when everyone is playing outdoors.

Haha - guess that was easy!

I legitimately came here asking a valid opinion. It got all twisted by others and then here we are..lol

Before the Ban Hammer or stick comes out, I am relative new to this hobby as when it all started with my Vintage Electro Voice Marquis I inherited.... started looking into a good match and settled on some nice Heathkit AA-100 and AJ-30 which I love. Then I came across the big SS 1280 that would go into safe mode (set it aside) then picked up the other item I mentioned before. Again still learning and why I posted here. I am an outstanding member and volunteer in my car clubs and have Never had issues with my Car guys regarding my 67 Chevelle or 50 Pontiac, but I am much more knowledgeable in those areas and generally the one contributing help. Not like here where I am a NOOB and from what I can see treated like one (Again not playing the victim, just stating what may or may-not be fact with all the seasoned AK'ers).

EDIT - Regarding that I act like a millennial (good stuff) I am 42, married with 3 kids...

I was totally joking about the ban hammer.. I would personally move the 1280 along to someone else..

Stick around OP, we're generally not so awful. It can take a bit to get the nuances of the AK rules, and it sounds in this case like the original thread was not entirely your fault anyway (I didn't see it). Truth be told, I got one of my first posts deleted at AK. I stuck around and glad I did.

Stick around OP, we're generally not so awful. It can take a bit to get the nuances of the AK rules, and it sounds in this case like the original thread was not entirely your fault anyway (I didn't see it). Truth be told, I got one of my first posts deleted at AK. I stuck around and glad I did.
I have actually been here for a few years... just hesitant to post. Maybe being the silent majority has its pluses :music:

What Tox said! The key is to not sound like you're trying to sell stuff on the forum.
Stick around. We are all audio nerds. Whether it's gear or music (or both), you will find a bunch of like-minded folks here.

The rules about value are (I assume) to keep the passers-by from diluting our conversations with strategies to line their wallets.

Advertising:

No advertising of any kind (even give-aways) is permitted on AK except under these rules, which are strictly applied:
  • You cannot advertise or promote any business without pre-approval as an AK Vendor.
  • All ads or offers to sell, buy or trade anything must be in Barter Town.
  • Non-Subscribers cannot make offers to buy, sell or trade anywhere on AK.

Advertising:

No advertising of any kind (even give-aways) is permitted on AK except under these rules, which are strictly applied:
  • You cannot advertise or promote any business without pre-approval as an AK Vendor.
  • All ads or offers to sell, buy or trade anything must be in Barter Town.
  • Non-Subscribers cannot make offers to buy, sell or trade anywhere on AK.
Ok no problem.. why I asked

There are two sets of rules that I've seen (are there more?), one for Dollars and Sense and one for the entire forum.
The one above was from the rules for the entire forum.

Is it against the rules to send a conversation to an AK member asking about selling or buying an item?

Back
Top Bottom