Pioneer SX-1980 and SX-1050 relay clicks

jeffpaletz

AK Subscriber
I noticed that when I turn both of these receivers on that after a couple of seconds the protection relay activates and sound comes from the speakers as is normal. When turning off the 1050 I hear a relay click after a moment. I do not hear any relay click when I turn off the 1980. Is that normal? I've owned the 1050 since I got it new in the late 1970s. I've only owned the 1980 for about 2 years but it's always worked that way, no click when you turn it off. Thoughts?

probably just they way the relay operates quietly.
There are 2 relays, the soft start and the speaker protection relay.

I just turned on the 1980 and after the sound came on I unplugged it instead of turning off the power switch. I did hear a click as soon as I unplugged it. I guess the click of the power switch being turned off covers up the click of the relay releasing. There is no delay as there is when turning off the 1050.

Or the SX-1050 ISN'T dropping out until the power supply drops out, instead of quickly triggering on the loss of lighting circuit 7.5vac, LONG before the regulated power supply sags..

That would mean that most of the protection modes aren't operating, just the turn on delay and nothing else.

I usually test that by operating the 7.5vac fuse like a knife switch.

The sound stops on the SX-1050 just a moment after the power switch is flipped off. It's the same timing as I've seen on other SX receivers of this model year. I just worked on an SX-850 and it shuts off the same way

Back
Top Bottom