Pioneer SX-1980 How Good?

1215mk2

Hello everybody!
Great site with the right contents.
My short story:
Since the very early 80's I have always asked myself why can't we have a stereo with a big metalfront with warm lightning on the meters. All my friends father's had them. We had a worn-out Radionette who made a terrible sound already at low volume. But I have made progress after that. To day I have a multi-ten-thousand stereo but still I miss this metal knobs and the 70's ambience that this reciever's give.

I have looked on the marked a lot this last months and I have come to a conclusion that the sx-1980 reciever could be the real thing for me. I am used to powerful amps. Why not start at the top? My question is: Do the 1980 reciever play good enough for me? I understand that she can give a massive power, but can she also play nice? Or can she only be compared with PA amps?
I'm gonna use this reciever with my Thorens turntable. The speakers is gonna be some newer, cause my wife will only accept slim speakers in her living room. It's ok.
Hope somebody with a little more experience than me can answer.

Compliments from Norway (That explains the bad english) :)

Welcome to AK. :thmbsp: You came to the right spot to get the answer. You will find a few members here that own the SX-1980 I own its little brother the SX-980. It is NOT a PA Amp its the King of Pioneer Receivers and one Big power House. You said it right you are going for the top. :banana:

Ron

When your Wife only likes smal or slim speakers, you have to use a Satalite + Subwoofer System. Most of the time the Subwoofer is aktive. So where should the Power of the SX-1980 go? :no:

For this excellent, beautiful Reciever you need some nice looking impressive Speakers, like HPM-150, HPM-1100, my opinion. :yes:

I've just bought one, and I am eager to give her a listen. Once I have it restored, I plan to do some comparisons.

If it sounds anywhere as smooth as the SX-1080, I am in heaven.

Now that I have analized the guts, I can tell you it's made with top quality parts. All potentiometers are sealed Alps including a Black Beauty for the volume control. Phono section is housed inside it's own shielded subchassis.

In order to do valid comparisons the unit must be operating according to specs. I'll make sure the DC offset and center voltages are adjusted properly.

I'll keep you guys posted on my listening impressions...

Last edited:
Pioneer727 said:
crooner Hope you dont blow that tweeter again :lmao:

Ron

Just the tweeter?? :D

Seriously, I am convincing a friend of mine to sell me his JBL Century L100s. I'll probably have both connected. The B&Ws on the A terminals for regular listening and the L100s for parties :banana:

SX-1980 + JBL L100s = a great sounding time

Definitely get ahold of those JBL L100s crooner. You won't be sorry! :yes:

Yes!!!!!

I've just finished detailing my friend's Marantz 2225. It pretty much looks brand new!

He said he would get me the speakers (whooo hoo!) :thmbsp:

Congrats crooner!! :thmbsp:

Can't wait to hear how it all sounds!

You must give a full report! :D

Scott

your better bet would be the 1050/1080, 1250, or the 1280. The 1980 has had some quality problems from what I understand. E/W or somebody step in if I am wrong.( Have been in the past,on multiple occassions) dont claim to be an expert......."when you claim to be an expert, there is always someone that read the fine print that you didnt"...........

The "quality problem" is the same problem all late 70s Pioneers are prone to. Namely, power supply issues (solder joints, pass transistors, zeners, etc).

brown13 said:
Thanks Crooner!!!!!!! Good post!!!!
Brown15

No, I mean...If there are other quality issues the SX-1980 has, I haven't heard of them. Of course, I am hardly impartial :D

I've had my SX-1980 going on 10 years now. Frankly, it never works very long before something goes wrong with it. If it's not this, then it's that. Two local guys that I know, also have 1980's and they have gone through the same breaky breaky as I have. In fact, we've had similar re-occuring problems with all three of our units.

The crowning blow is that when I really sit down and listen to that beast, that is, when it's working, the darn thing just doesn't sound all that great! Do your self a favor and drop one slot down from the top of the Pioneer line, and pick your self up a real clean SX-1250. My 1250 cost me less than half of the 1980, has given me zero problems so far, and sounds a heckuva lot better than that beast.

There are many great receivers in the 160 watt per channel class made during the same time period as the 1980, which should make you happy. I would consider one of those and stay clear of the 1980. Just an opinion from someone who has been there!

ReEdger:

Out of mere curiosity. Is yours an early or a late production version?

The late production version is distinguished by the "Sensor" switch on the back.

Regards,
crooner

ReEdger said:
...Do your self a favor and drop one slot down from the top of the Pioneer line, and pick your self up a real clean SX-1250. My 1250 cost me less than half of the 1980, has given me zero problems so far, and sounds a heckuva lot better than that beast...

Actually, the 1250 is from the series before the SX-xx80 receivers, and was the top of that line. I have heard some say that the SX-xx50 receivers were of a higher quality than the xx80 series. I've got an SX-950 and an SX-1980, and I can't tell any difference in the sound quality. I've only had my 1980 for maybe 6 months, but have had absolutely no trouble from it. This might be due to the speakers that I have. I know they won't take the 1980's full output, so I never drive it much over 100wpc.

That's a very interesting point tx1488.

I guess a lot of folks tended to go overboard and abused the heck out of the SX-1980s. 270 watts are nice, but there's no need to stress them. You'll have plenty of power for peaks, that is, if you play music with wide dynamic range.

Ventilation is also paramount with these (and any high power) receivers. I plan to install a little muffin fan below right where the power supply is. The fan will not be on all the time. I will activate it with a switch.

Regarding sound quality, before making any judgements it is important that the receiver's DC offset and balance are set as specified. The difference in sound quality between a "drifted" and a spec'd unit is night and day!

tx1488, I like your avatar BTW :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom