Pioneer SX-1980 How Good?

crooner said:
ReEdger:

Out of mere curiosity. Is yours an early or a late production version?

The late production version is distinguished by the "Sensor" switch on the back.

Regards,
crooner

Crooner,
I'll check and let you know. By the way, theTech who has been working on this beast could tell by the serial number, the exact date the unit was made. He used to work for Pioneer and deciphered the alpha numeric code for me. Naturally, I forgot...

ReEdger:

I've just finished repairing mine. It only needed several caps in the power supply replaced. Total cost less than $10.

This thing has incredible bass, tight and tuneful, even at low levels.

It is also well behaved with good volume control range. I am driving my B&Ws to satisfying levels with the meters hitting 100 watt peaks.

Sound is quite neutral (I never use tone controls anyway). Highs are there but rather subdued. No harsh or irritating sounds here.

So far so good. Mine is a later version. I was guessing the problems this model had were corrected later in production.

Regards,
crooner

I forgot to add. Tuner performance is also extraordinary. Right now I am picking up 99.9 FM in San Bernardino. This is with powerful local station 99.7 right next to it. Excellent adjacent channel performance. Sensitive as well. The 5 gang front end really helps here.

Back
Top Bottom