Pioneer SX-1980 - what would you pay?

No one can predict the future of vintage audio or anything else for that matter with 100% certainty but a little thinking on the matter shows me that all the desirable receivers today will still be sought after 50 years from now if other collectible items are any indication, sure there will always be ups and downs in the market but long term they will continue to rise in value, they are not making any more of them and as the population continues to grow so will the number of collectors which means supply and demand issues less supply more demand.

Muscle cars for example I never dreamed that any of them would ever reach 100k even let alone the prices pristine examples command today back in 1976 you could pick and choose pretty much anything you wanted for less then 3k in fact most were in the 1500.00-2k range chargers challengers hemi cudas camaros cobra jet mustangs etc

One thing to consider for both of those types of collectibles, they depend on the market. The people buying both remember them from when they were kids and had no chance of affording them. Now they can afford them and the nostalgia helps sell it.

There is some evidence millennials like both old cars (go to bringatrailer.com) and vintage audio (look at the vinyl resurgence) but I have to wonder if it'll last.

If the rising price of the SX-1980 were plotted over a period of time and the price mimicked a parabolic curve, at that point it would be time to step aside and sell.
parabolic_curve.gif

I should have also mentioned, in 20 years, I worry if anyone will be able to fix these beasts. I think that's more of a problem vs. cars.

I should have also mentioned, in 20 years, I worry if anyone will be able to fix these beasts. I think that's more of a problem vs. cars.
Good point we lost thousands when tube TV's went the way of the do do bird but I think that yes there will be some just not as many, I know a tech near me who has an apprentice who is in their teens now.

Good point we lost thousands when tube TV's went the way of the do do bird but I think that yes there will be some just not as many, I know a tech near me who has an apprentice who is in their teens now.

I work in software and I'm quite good at fixing most things (anything mechanical or house related) but I know pretty much nothing about electronics. I'd like to learn but don't know where to start. I'd be happy if I can learn to solder and replace parts.

I have always been enamored with the Pioneer SX receivers. I have the 1050 and 950 and thought I would never move them out of rotation. That was until I very recently got a Kenwood 600 amp and tuner. Now, the Pioneer sounds a little flat in comparison. I NEVER thought I would say this.

If you always wanted the 1980, and have the means, go ahead and get it. Know that you most likely will never recoup the cost. If you are looking for a step up in performance, look elsewhere.

I should have also mentioned, in 20 years, I worry if anyone will be able to fix these beasts.

And lastly will the parts still be available by then as I'm sure components will no longer be made as technology will have moved on.

Static displays is all these once great items will be.

Also while speaking of collectable cars is concerned, I strongly feel that in 30 years time there will be no fossil fuel as we currently know it, yes sure there will be niche market refineries but fuel will be $50 to $100 a litre and to most that's no longer viable, thus many more static displays that will be worth zero.

Everything works in cycles and has it's day in the sun, predicting the high point is the hard part.

And lastly will the parts still be available by then as I'm sure components will no longer be made as technology will have moved on.
I think some parts may be tough to find for sure but looking back at radios made 80-100 years ago there are still parts and techs to repair them so I don't think that will happen in my life time and 20 years from I am pretty sure I will not care because I will almost certainly be dead or in a nursing home where I cant play my stereo anyways :D

Last edited:

Static displays is all these once great items will be.

Also while speaking of collectable cars is concerned, I strongly feel that in 30 years time there will be no fossil fuel as we currently know it, yes sure there will be niche market refineries but fuel will be $50 to $100 a litre and to most that's no longer viable, thus many more static displays that will be worth zero.

Everything works in cycles and has it's day in the sun, predicting the high point is the hard part.

I actually think the refined petrol problem is more likely than the electronic components.

I actually think the refined petrol problem is more likely than the electronic components.
Agreed oil is going away at some point but I don't think it will affect the mega dollar car market much anyways because the majority are rarely if ever driven they are put on a trailer and moved from garage to shows and back

I have a recapped (by Matt) 1980 matched to a pair of mint HPM-150's...and every person that has listened to this set-up has been blown away. Not only sound but looks. It is classic...and beast mode.

If you have the disposable income...love the sound and looks...don't listen to negative nellies here....get it. Life is short...follow your own path. It is a unique and rare item...hence the value.

I have a recapped (by Matt) 1980 matched to a pair of mint HPM-150's...and every person that has listened to this set-up has been blown away. Not only sound but looks. It is classic...and beast mode.

If you have the disposable income...love the sound and looks...don't listen to negative nellies here....get it. Life is short...follow your own path. It is a unique and rare item...hence the value.
Yes by all means please overpay you will only have years before it will be worth what you paid :D

Not being a negative nellie here we are just attempting to get give good advice based on our experiences and the current market. No doubt there are those who think the SX-1980 sounds better then any other Pioneer receiver and for them it is fact. And if the OP has his heart set on one he should get one but hopefully one in truly mint condition and fully restored for 4k USD

They have a lot going for them they are big beautiful and powerful and will always command the most price wise of the Pioneer receivers and a must have for a receiver collector.

Last edited:
I had been wanting an SX-1980 for quite some time. I remember being a kid and saw that SX-1980 brand new in stock. For the past 12 years tried getting one but didn't have cash while it was around $500 to $1500 range. Later, seeing the receiver price going ever up and up. Finally got the cash 4 years ago after the price gone to $3 to 4K range. I went ahead and bought a receiver with a dead transformer for $3.2K. I have two spare SX-1980 transformers, one being NOS. I figure, why not at the time until I find it wasn't the transformer but a dead regulator board. Something I can fix anyways.

Yes but my HPM-150s sound like that with any good receiver.

In 20 years most interested people won't know what this stuff is. Without AK as a source of info for research the prices would tank. Long live AK.
As for the bubble part. In a recession the 1980 would be the first to take the hit because it would bring enough money at $1500/$2000 to justify the loss at sale. The SX-780 at $100 would stay in the rack and get used. Along with all the other also rans.

Back
Top Bottom