Pioneer SX-1980

I couldn't even pick that bugger up. It wasn't me.
With that recent thread about heavy gear and many here getting past the age of wanting to pump that iron up onto a shelf, workbench or whatever, I wouldn't even consider a 1980 unless I could make enough money to pay for all the medical recovery I would need after flipping it.

With that recent thread about heavy gear and many here getting past the age of wanting to pump that iron up onto a shelf, workbench or whatever, I wouldn't even consider a 1980 unless I could make enough money to pay for all the medical recovery I would need after flipping it.
Let alone those who are willing to work on them and move these beast around the bench.
Betcha one can count on one hand how many would on this forum. With several retired from beast mode restoration.
The smaller puppies many more options open up for you.

I hope I encounter one in my days, just so I can see it in person. I ain't afraid to wrestle it, but then again I am still young and stupid

Heaviest thing I ever bought and moved around was a Mcintosh mc2500, at 139 pounds it is a real beast. The suspense is killing me, what was it listed for?

I though vintage was heavy.
Then I started humping multi channel home theater and whole house stuff.

No glass and aluminum. Some have damn near bullet proof steel chassis. 80+ pounds is not uncommon.

I had an AVR go through here at 98 pounds!

McIntosh is not shy about weight either.

I had a chance at an SX-1980 once.
Very reasonable price.
Walked away.
There is a reason the stereo wars ended.
It got ridiculous.
The more TOTL I work on, the less I think of them. They pushed to edge just a little too far.

An SX-1250 is the best Pioneer receiver in my book. And I enjoy the older smaller units even more. The early 70s were the sweetest spot.

When amps started weighing more than my own body weight, I bought a scissor jack cart. It is the only way I can move them without help. Krell FB600 pair at 180 lbs each, ugh!

Find them at Harbor Freight, worth every penny as a back saver. And, will work great with a Pioneer SX-1980!

Several years ago, a fella was selling one with box for $1,500. I kick myself for passing on it.

When amps started weighing more than my own body weight, I bought a scissor jack cart. It is the only way I can move them without help. Krell FB600 pair at 180 lbs each, ugh!

Find them at Harbor Freight, worth every penny as a back saver. And, will work great with a Pioneer SX-1980!

Several years ago, a fella was selling one with box for $1,500. I kick myself for passing on it.
The Pioneer was $100 it was the box that would have cost ya.:D

You must be a weightlifter. I can move mine by myself, but it’s 80 pounds, and I’m 51, so I try to get help when I need to move it.

Not at all, just a skinny 23 year old. I guess in time I might get sick of the super heavy gear, will report back in 10-15 years.

Back
Top Bottom