Pioneer SX-300W. Is THIS One Real Or Fake ?

Hi, l saw this a while back and wondered the same thing, very cool little unit. I think l may have read afterwards somewhere online that it may have been for the european market but please don't quote me on this as l can't be sure of the source, can't find the reference now.

I know that Adcom and Bose sold white components back in the 80's, but I have never seen anything that old in white and not ever from Pioneer. If you look carefully at the photos of the back, it is pretty apparent that it is a "resto-mod" paint job, since they didn't paint the back edge white--you can still see the wood--I call BS on the "rare white edition"--more like "trashed case sanded and spray-painted white"--and there is no "W" in the model number on the back panel.

It's not painted White. It's a White Melamine type Veneer. Look at the miter joints in the Front and across the front face and top.joints. PIONEER never made a "WHITE" receiver to my knowledge, unless it was for a small specific demographic in Europe. The SX-300 was made at the same time as the x3x series 1974-1975 model years. The Serial # bears this out UI= Sept. 1974.

Also the 5 position Voltage selector shows it is a GENERAL EXPORT MODEL. What Countries for General Export??? And where Exported from????

Pics from two different 1974-1975 Broduct Brochures. No mention of White.
ScreenHunter_42 Mar. 02 15.30.jpg
ScreenHunter_43 Mar. 02 15.31.jpg

Last edited:
According to the 5th edition of the Pioneer Spec Bible from Stereo Manuals: "SX-300 with a white cabinet (instead of walnut vinyl veneered cabinet) was available in the Netherlands in 1975."

So, there you go.

Maybe there was some market for it during those days. Myself I have a little white Luxman SQ700X and recently there was another one on the Dutch market. Those also were on the Japan market as the hifido shop has pictures of the Luxman. In these cases all the markings on the front plates were white also. http://members.quicknet.nl/gerard.slikker/sq700x-6.jpg .
So white stuff is not unique but still quite rare.

According to the 5th edition of the Pioneer Spec Bible from Stereo Manuals: "SX-300 with a white cabinet (instead of walnut vinyl veneered cabinet) was available in the Netherlands in 1975."

So, there you go.

Wow. That would make sense because the seller is from NL.
Thanks for the information xibee

Back
Top Bottom