1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SX-424

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by screenersam, Nov 7, 2010.

1. screenersam

screenersam aka Blind Sugar McGee

saved a Pioneer SX-424 from the recycle demon. anyone wi a history on these?
    requires special speaker plug; do not like!

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. backinthelou

backinthelou Well-Known Member

Lifted from another website:

The SX-424 was introduced around 1972 and manu- factured through 1973 but these dates are not certain because Pioneer's own literature doesn't even list this model, which was probably just an oversight. It was Pioneer's most affordable receiver, listing for around $200. It's rated 15w per channel was deceptive having adequate power for driving practically any speakers. It had separate fuses for left and right channels and was wired for four channel sound; you could run four speakers simultaneously.

3. vintageboy

vintageboy Chicago HiFi Subscriber

I have the same one and I really hate the speaker plugs on the back! It is rated 12W per channel! Low class receiver but sounds good and loud!

I hope you enjoy it! Here is a pic!

[​IMG]

4. highping

highping AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pioneer still sells the speaker plugs for around 10 bucks. :)

5. michaelhigh

michaelhigh mind's eye music

Look at the pic above... Is that not a face you could love? This is a sleeper, a nice, solid low-power winner.

6. 33&athird

33&athird Turn on & Tune in

Yep, I own the one-step above 525, and it's a low-watt charmer, good sound, some pretty good volume with efficent speakers, a nice tuner, etc. Good looking unit to, nice proportions:yes:

And yeah, the infamous speaker plugs...

woodrocku likes this.

7. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Spade connectors will work fine. Polarity is Horizontal = POS, Vertical = NEG.

8. bob smog

bob smog Creebling at the Turntables Subscriber

I've owned a SX-434 since the late 1970's and it was always a decent performer. Don't know what the difference is between it and the 424 - it does have standard speaker binding posts (thankfully).

9. screenersam

thanx for all the feedback! I feel like I got a winner, esp for free

10. Arkay

Arkay Lunatic Member

It's easy to DIY speaker plugs for those: Just take a regular US-style electrical plug, and remove the flat metal prong parts. They should fit right into the slots, although you may need to do a little filing (depending on the plug you started with). You can take some molding compound that sets up hard (epoxy will do, too) to fix them in the correct right-angle positions vis-a-vis each other, and prevent accidental shorting.

11. par4golf

par4golf Member

My first piece of gear in 1974, paid $129 for it at a Radio Shack. 12 wpc, and a pretty decent tuner and phono section for the money. Sounded pretty good driving a pair of Altec 891v's. And yes, the plugs were a pain in the ass, but once connected didn't give me any problems. My unit is still in use at my friend's cabin in Pennsylvania. :music:

12. screenersam

ordered a pair of plugs; hope to get set up this weekend
    will de-oxit all the connex too

13. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

?????????

One step above would be the SX-434?...Yes/No??????????:scratch2:

14. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

Differences:

SX-424 did not have a left/right balance knob...SX-434 did.Push ins were black on 424 and silver on 434.Both had same power 12 watts per channel.Both models had on front right Panel a mike input and control yet some models of each didn't,don't know why?SX-434 had regular speaker connectors as opposed to the 424.......:):thmbsp:

15. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

Nope. Next generation of the model roll. The step up in both rolls of the model line was the SX-525/535. The SX-4x4 was the bottom of the line brought into the US back then.

There were other lower-end receivers in the Pioneer product line in the US but they were branded Craig by Pioneer and included a line up of 8-track/cassette players for auto use plus compact stereo/All-in-One stereo systems favored by college students in small dorm rooms.

Cheers,

David

16. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

The only differences I 've seen on the 434 vs 424 were

1.) Screw downs for 434, funky plugs for the 424.
    2.) BALANCE Control 434, Dual Volume control 424
    3.) Different knobs.
    4.) Internal differences on schematic.

Larry

17. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

Ty:

Thanks I needed that!..lol...no really I should have seen that but just didn't,thanks for reminding me...:):thmbsp:

18. dshoaf

Larry, those are the features. There were other reasons for product lines to roll back then: increased prices.

Recall that there was the first big oil embargo that was happening about the same time. US consumers got their first shock of rising gas prices and the cost of shipping anything went through the roof. Importers quickly started rolling the product lines as one way to keep their margins up.

It is amazing that anyone bought stereo gear back then!

Cheers,

David

19. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

But when the Military ships it home for you from the Exch, or during a PCS there is a lot you can move. I had a 2,000# limit for a PCS move. And I was single!

20. dshoaf

Well, that explains why I saw a lot of big overseas receivers and speakers coming into my shop back in the 70s. I always wondered how those bachelors could afford to ship all their gear home.

Cheers,

David