Pioneer SX-424

It's got a blown Channel (right / Left). With the lack of a balance control, the only way to find out which is to work the separate left-Right Volume controls (it's a split knob. It's running either the left channel thru the A+B speaker connections, or the Right Channel thru the A+B connections. I'd offer 1/2 that due to the blown channel, fix it, and enjoy it.

I have a SX434 that was working beautifully until I hooked up the Dual 1249 that I had gotten back from a loan without testing. When I turned it back on with the turntable hooked up, no output. More investigation revealed a lit and working unit but only faintly audible sound at full volume. My guess is that somehow, a fault in the turntable blew out the output transistors. Is it worth paying to fix?

Does the 434 work normally in AM/FM, Aux, Tape Mon???? If it's just in Phono, the Turntable is suspect. If you have another working TT plug it in to the 434 and check output. Take off the Cartridge sled on the 1249 and make sure the cartridge is connected correctly to the wiring, then check the sled contacts and tonearm contacts are CLEAN and Shiny (an ink eraser works well for this). Also check the wiring at the RCA connections underneath. Finally, swap in a new pair of RCA cables. I seriously doubt the turntable blew the output's on the 434 and you have a fault in the 1249.

Back
Top Bottom