Pioneer SX-450 does not power on power but switched outlet works

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Lance23, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Lance23

Lance23 New Member

Pioneer SX-450 does not power on power but switched outlet works, can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot

thanks
    Al

2. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

The power switches on this model are trouble prone. They can be repaired but doing so requires some patience. Using google, do a search for SX 450 power switch. Follow the links that take you back to Audiokarma. There are several well documented threads that demonstrate various repair methods. The switch is basically like "points" in vintage auto ignition systems. The points build up corrosion over time that can be easily remedied by fine sandpaper or finger nail file. The challenge is getting to the switch. I was able to repair mine without removing it from the chassis but it took most of a Sunday afternoon. No rocket science required, just patience.

3. zebulon1

zebulon1 Cleaned up the shop and half finished sets. Subscriber

Good wisdom from "macyjim"
    Some added embellishment:
    Check the main fuse for condition and proper rating.
    Then bypass the main power switch using a safe jumper.
    Build a DBT (Dim Bulb Tester) with a switch, if you don't have one.
    Plug the set into the DBT using it as a temporary switch.
    This will confirm the poor power switch condition(?) and check the set for any shorts before plugging it in to full house power.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. Lance23

Lance23 New Member

5. merlynski

merlynski Curmudgeon Electronicist Subscriber

If I understand correctly the 'switched outlet' powers on and off with the power switch, but the Receiver stays dark and silent? If so the switch is not the problem.
    Look at the schematic, there is a 3 amp fuse (FU6) to the transformer primary that may be blown. It does not affect the switched outlet but will interrupt the power to the Receiver's power supplies. Check the fuse with an ohmmeter (unplug the power cord first), 0 ohms is good. If it is open (bad) something deeper inside may have caused it to blow. If you have a DBT replace the fuse, plug amp into DBT and try turning it on. If the DBT bulb comes on bright for a moment then goes dim try again without the DBT.. If the DBT bulb stays bright the problem is deeper inside. You can build a Dim Bulb Tester for cheap, instructions and explanation are on AK. Zeb is on the right track . . .

6. Lance23

Lance23 New Member

ok thanks for the replies, will do some more testing and report back...

thanks
    Al