Pioneer SX-450 finds a caring home

mattybumpkin

Found this SX-450 for $5 on the way to the gym, my first local score. Boy, was she dirty though as you can see. Cleaned up nice, gotta replace the stereo bulb though. This is my first pic uploading so I hope they show.

Regards,

"M"

Nice work! I had one of these that I found on the curb and the stereo light was out as well. It's an 8v, 35mA miniature with wire leads... good luck finding a replacement. I replaced MINE with a yellow 1.5V LED and 330 Ohm, ¼W resistor because I could not find a bulb locally and didn't want it burning out again. Well done!

Tom

Last edited:
You'll have to share your clean-up secrets with us. That RX looks like brand new, now!

Nice little receiver. I have one (not as pretty as yours) with one channel out, but don't have the heart to ditch it.

Beautiful cleanup! Warms the heart, I've had one of these since I was a tyke. Mine's a litte rough, but still sounds sweet. 450's are one of the nicest low-end receivers out there, definitely a keeper.

TP

Man! You really did that little guy right. Congrats on the score and wonderful job on the cleanup. :thmbsp:

Wow! The insides look great! :thmbsp:

What did you use to clean the inside of the unit?

Scott

SX-450 clean up

Guys,

Thnx for the comments. I really enjoyed being able to show you the before/after pics. I love seeing old, dirty units spiffed up into something beautiful.

For cleaning, on the face I used the Oxy-Clean stuff and then a liquid wax, for the inside I used 91% ISO. This after I vacuumed out all that fuzzy dust, yuck! The rest was Windex, lemon oil, etc.

Regards,

"M"

For the bulbs: i have a SX-450 and a SA-9500 II which uses 8v - 50 mA wired bulbs.

I found exactly the same bulbs (except they were 60 mA) in the first electronic store i went to. Here in Belgium.

50 cents (i'm talking in Euros) by piece. :thmbsp:

They work great...

What I want to know is before and after weight? Man that thing has to weigh at least 5 pounds less now. :thmbsp:

Ya done good. Saved another poor soul. I just love the look of the smaller (450 to 650) SXs. My first real hifi was a 550.

Back
Top Bottom