PIONEER SX-450 vs Schitt Mani phono amp

Gumbee

Hi guys, first time posting here and wanted some opinions about my set up. I currently have a JVC -jl-b31 turntable with a Schiit Mani phono amp paired with Klipsch The Sixes speaker set. I was wondering If I picked up a Pioneer SX-450 receiver would that be a better phono amp? I know I would need to get new speakers since the Klipsch are the active type. I mainly listen to Jazz and Blues at medium levels. I would like to hear music clear and don't care too much about booming bass. The room is a medium size living room. Thanks

The SX-450 was the first piece of audio equipment that I owned. While it's a decent entry-level receiver, there's no way that it would compete with a dedicated (entry-level high end) phono preamp like the Schiit. Remember, this was a $150 (MSRP) receiver in 1978.

Also, it has known power-supply issues, and you're talking about 40 year old electronics (that are probably in need of refreshing, but it's extremely unlikely anyone would bother since the amount of labor required would be well over the total value of the unit after repair).

The SX-450 was the first piece of audio equipment that I owned. While it's a decent entry-level receiver, there's no way that it would compete with a dedicated (entry-level high end) phono preamp like the Schiit. Remember, this was a $150 (MSRP) receiver in 1978.

Also, it has known power-supply issues, and you're talking about 40 year old electronics (that are probably in need of refreshing, but it's extremely unlikely anyone would bother since the amount of labor required would be well over the total value of the unit after repair).
Ok thats good to know about the quality of the phono amp and power issues. Was pretty enticing since I could get it for 100 with all the Caps and the capsistors and led replaced

Even with updated caps (not sure what you mean by "capsistors" - resistors generally don't need replacing), I think it's a step down from what you're currently running.

Even with updated caps (not sure what you mean by "capsistors" - resistors generally don't need replacing), I think it's a step down from what you're currently running.
Ok I meant transistors. I will probably pass on that reciever based on your recommendations. Any reciever I should be on the look out for?

Back
Top Bottom