Pioneer SX 50 vs SX 80 Series

IBSO52

So I've recently came across a few receivers in both the 50 and 80 series models. I've listened to both and I wonder what other people think.

Do they like the 50 series more?

I never really read much about the 80 series unless its the 1980.

Is the 80 series not as nice?

What are the pros / cons of both series?

I'm no pro but from my experience seems like rock / classical music plays well on the 50 series. Where the 80 series seems to handle Rap / Hip Hop better.

What do people think of the both series? I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-80-vs-50-series.414956/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....0-series-vs-sx-80-series-vs-sa-series.747420/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-1250-vs-sx-1280.452659/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-680-vs-sx-650.783139/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-850-vs-pioneer-sx-980.394120/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-950-vs-1080.764345/
ect.

Forgive the lighthearted links ;)

I love all the Pioneers and listened to and repaired/restored many of them.
The 80's are styled nicely and have the meters but a bit on the flimsy side - and some of the components can be troublesome to procure($$$) or work-a-round. Sound depends on the condition of the set. Original or restored?
The 50's are robust and easy to repair (For the most part). Components are readily available. Sound wise, when restored - their made for the working man.
And remember: Speaker selection is the key to the sound.

The sx-1980 is in a league of it's own. I could write a paragraph or two on it.

Last edited:
@zebulon, great articles and thanks for the links.

I would have to agree with most the 80 series does look better. Something about watching that needle bounce.

Basically the overview:

50:
Easier to find parts
"better" build quality

80:
Harder to find parts
Cooler look (most agree)

Sound:
I've recapped an SX-980 and I love the clean sound. Some say the 50 series is a bit warmer than the 80, but my advice; Try to listen to both and decide for yourself ;)

@Eldin, Thanks for the advice.

@Awesomeaudio, As I've had time to listen to both the last few days I would have to agree. Now the tough part starts, figuring out which one I'm going to sell. Can't keep them all and my wife would appreciate that we don't have all the receivers sitting out haha.

As mentioned, the build quality and serviceability is better on the xx50 series.

After that the dollar suffered versus the yen and the Japanese manufacturers needed to cut costs while increasing content to remain competitive against other countries goods. That began the transfer of manufacturing to other Aisian countries.

I've got both families of Pioneer - I just wished they made a xx50 series equivalent of the SX-1980.

I prefer the look and sound of the 1050 and 1250 over 1080 and 1280, like the sound of the 950 over all so far, have not had a 980 to compare and it has been a looooong time since I've heard a 1980 also so can't accurately compare this either.

Now to finish the 1010 and see if I like it as well, ...

It's a matter of taste (visual, sonic, and music genre) and of course speaker pairing. My dislike of output power packs has kept me from spending money on the 80 series however.

I've either have or have had nearly all of the 50's and 80's series, my preference.....drum roll please....x3x series. IMO the SX-737 is the sweet spot of the pioneer silver faced receivers.

Not all of the xx80 series used the power packs.
I know the SX-780 and below did but I think models up from there used discrete outputs (and many/all of them are NLA).

If the 1980's output power packs fail you are looking for a parts unit, been there / done that.

There might be a work-around by now, at least two people have been working on creating substitution output boards/circuits.

The 1280 is also power-packs, not sure about the 1080 but I believe it too is IC/power-pack outs. There is also an IC in the tuner that last I knew was NLA.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you should be afraid to own and enjoy one of these fine receivers, it does however mean that there is very good incentive to making certain that it is properly used, maintained, and that all voltages etc. are correct before any use so that you don't blow one of these outputs. They are pretty stout and well designed when operated within normal (design) parameters.

I have a friend that is a total Pioneer "fanboy". Over the years, I think every model from the xx50 and xx80 series has passed through his hands. At one point, he had a 1250, 1280, and the mighty 1980--all three at once, but due to spousal considerations, he can only keep two at a time. All three were totally restored. So a bunch of us got together to do a "shoot out" to see which one would have to go. Same room, same speakers, same sources--so a level playing field. The consensus was that the 1250 was the best sounding of the bunch and the 1980 had to go--brute force does not equal sound quality. I'm sure his wife will be pleased when he applies the funds from the sale to fund his SPEC rack project LOL.

If the 1980's output power packs fail you are looking for a parts unit, been there / done that.
There might be a work-around by now, at least two people have been working on creating substitution output boards/circuits.
The 1280 is also power-packs, not sure about the 1080 but I believe it too is IC/power-pack outs. There is also an IC in the tuner that last I knew was NLA.
Perhaps we have a disconnect on nomenclature but in my experience the Smaller receivers (SX-780 and below) use the STK series of "Power Packs" whereas the larger receivers use discrete output devices (transistors). The case style used for these transistors is no longer available and is a 4-leaded "flat pack" style - but they are discrete devices.

The unobtainium nature of these parts is one of several reasons I prefer the xx50 series.

You might be right, back "in the day" we generally referred to a discrete device as a single transistor, where a flat-pack with multiple junctions/transistors would be referred to as an IC or in this case power pack.

Either way we are saying the same thing: the devices are unique and NLA, and it makes the sx---80 series very difficult to repair if the outputs are damaged.

Not a unique situation, pretty much all of the manufacturers had to move away from discrete (single-transistor in a package) type outputs. You can't buy outputs for your '90s Mark Levinson, Bryson, Kenwood, (insert name) amplifiers from Digikey etc. for the same reason, just part of the hobby.

Well I don't have a 1980, (maybe oneday) but that thread by EW is very interesting indeed.
The guy is a Legend !
Thanks for the link Zeb. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom